Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

8 month old self weaning and rejected mama drying up:(

AndreaY is offline Registered User

If it's the nutrition you are worried about, you can always pump and feed EBM from a bottle, that way he will still be getting all the "good stuff" of breastmilk.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreaY View Post
    If it's the nutrition you are worried about, you can always pump and feed EBM from a bottle, that way he will still be getting all the "good stuff" of breastmilk.
    Yes, I would also say that pumping is an option. But....

Get a good pump

&

Know that it's not always a piece of cake to pump--it takes time, can be inconvenient (as far as cleaning equipment, storing breastmilk properly, finding a place to pump if you're out etc.) and if your milk supply is having problems it can be super frustrating (you can pump and pump and only get 1/2 an ounce for all your hard work which is hardly enough to really feed your baby with).

I don't know how your body is reacting to the fact that you're not breastfeeding as often or as much now. My cycle restarted when I was 2.5 months post-partum and was still breastfeeding exclusively. This is normal in my family.

When the cycle restarts, for some women the rise in progesterone present in your body has a negative effect on the amount of prolactin and it becomes a constant struggle to keep a good milk supply--even if you're nursing, pumping, resting and eating right.

So, you'll just have to decide if this is a path you'd like to really pursue. I'd say pumping breastmilk, especially with an already low milk supply, can be just as frustrating as dealing with a baby who fights you when you try to breastfeed.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

If I could pump a lot of milk, I would, but either my pump or my breast yields little. But moreso, it`s the act of breastfeeding that I will miss. I just never expected it to end this early for reasons totally out of my knowledge and control.
    I`m so interested to hear that milk production slows down after one gets their period. I got mine about 2 months ago and it has been getting more and more challenging with our breastfeeding. Now that might make sense.
    I guess I do just have to accept it. But I hope to keep up my milk supply by feeding my son in the night or when he`s half asleep(the only time he will take it) just in case this is just a phase. One can hope, right? :)

yuukalim0404 is offline Registered User

at least your baby likes to take the bottle, now my milk is less, my 1year old is unhappy, but refused to take EBM via bottle from me or hubby. Lots of struggling and tears.

Really frustrated because I can't possibly put the milk back to my breast for her to suck!

How about through a sippy cup? That`s actually how mined learned the bottle. Then again, I never tried to give him formula before - it was always EBM and he refused it unless it was from the source. You can always try formula, at least for a while until she can go onto cow`s milk. I know how you are feeling about your breastmilk - I`m really trying to keep some in my own. Time for a dreamfeed~

Koan is offline Registered User

It feels awful. I'm sorry you're going through this. When my son refuses or skips a feed, or I get home from work late, I feel really crappy. My mood gets way off from missing that feed and I feel anxious and bad.

Here's a great link with some helpful tips to encourage your baby to keep nursing. 8mnths is a typical time for kids to be off exploring and too busy to stop and nurse.

kellymom.com :: Do babies under 12 months self-wean?

Lots of shirtless cuddles could help too, helping him smell the goods!

Re your period returning, some women find that their supply drops temporarily in the days just before the period starts, and some babies may also notice a slight difference in taste, and get fussy. But this is hormonal and temporary.

If you think your supply is affected by the return of your period, you could try a calcium/magnesium supplement (from 500 calcium/250 magnesium up to 1500 calcium/750 magnesium) from the time you ovulate until the second or third day of a period.

Menstruation and Breastfeeding

HTH.

Hi Koan - thanks for your suggestions and links. I read them with interest, and now have some new ideas to try out. I have actually been taking a calcium supplement (with magnesium and other stuff) since I was about 6 months pregnant, so at least I have been covered for that:)
    My baby slept through the night last night (exhausted after a long day out) and was STARVING this morning so he actually breastfed - I was beaming. I`m finding that it`s really a day by day thing - just always offering with varying degrees of success or not. Looking forward to the end of his nap soon to offer some more goods~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12