Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Amnio ???

byebyehk is offline Registered User
    Hi Akachan,

There is another thread on amio in this forum, where people recommended Dr. Lam. I'll try if I can find the link.

I'm seeing Dr. Alexander Doo right now, so I probably will go forward with him. Dr. Doo told me that on average, he did 100 to 200 amnio each year over the last 10 years, with only one case of miscarriage. It seems quite safe.

Good luck to both of us

Hi, Akachan,

The thread is in

Amniocentesis - cost and other info.

hope it helps

slamdunk is offline Registered User
    i had a very poor combined result (1:4) which was devastating and for my own reasons, opted to have the CVS test which is like the Amnio but extracts from the placenta and is performed at 12 weeks (rather than 16). Because of risks (a little higher than Amnio because earlier), I felt reassured with the test being performed by Dr Lam in the central clinic. The clinic performs a lot of these tests and has the efficiency (and warmth) of a factory (which was fine for me, as this works out well re. statistics). Waiting for results was dreadful and like the earlier poster, I was quite careful physically for a few weeks afterwards. All went well and I gave birth to a healthy little boy 8 mths ago.
    Last edited by slamdunk; 09-22-2009 at 01:13 PM.

So many people performed amnio with Dr. Lam .... It makes me re-think if I should go forward with Dr. Doo or not. I belive that more exercise leads to better skill.

The warmth of a factory ..... haha so funny

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by byebyehk View Post
    Hi Shenzhennifer,

I did the nuchal fold test, number looked good ( 1/1700 ), the only thing that failed was the blood test ( Papp-A and HCG ).

My first thought was that I would never abort the baby no matter what, so I said no amnio. But then I went through some research on the life of Down Syndrome children, which made me realize it's not an acceptable life for my baby. That's the only reason I'm re-considering it now.

It`s interesting that your 2 tests don`t correspond with the other. I would be inclined to think that there is some kind of error in one of them. You had the test done at 12 weeks, which is the cut-off, isn`t it? I can`t remember exactly, but something drops off after the 12th week so they can`t test you anymore, some kind of hormone or something. Sorry, I did a lot of research at the time but it was a long time ago now. Also, it`s not just the actual blood test - they calculate it based on your age and what week you`re in. So you should make sure that all information is exactly accurate (on my first test it wasn`t and that`s why I had it redone) because it really affects the outcome.
    We also have to remember that it is PEOPLE who are doing these tests. Humans are fallible. Everyone has a bad day sometimes.
    I also did research on down syndrome kids and parents, but that more shaped my feelings towards keeping it no matter what.
    Different strokes for different folks. You have to do what is best for you and your baby.
    Last edited by Shenzhennifer; 09-22-2009 at 10:29 PM.

mscheerful is offline Registered User
    a friend in NZ also was told that she has a big chance of carrying a down baby but he turned out to be so healthy and perfect. he is now 3 months old.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12