Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

A 9-mth baby refuse fruit

leelsahy is offline Registered User

A 9-mth baby refuse fruit

I started introduce fruit to my baby at 7 mth and she liked it (apple/pear/banana/blueberries, pureed or with rice porridge). However, she refused all of them recently. I doubted if the texture problem (i've learnt babies don't like smoothie style when taking puree for some time) so gives as small dice but she get it out from her mouth. I tried giving apple with bread and she can swallow the bread only and "return" apple to me.

Wish to have advice on how to give fruit for a 9-mth baby.

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    I usually just mash the fruit with a fork so its still lumpy. And you can try combinations like Banana and Kiwi Fruit, Banana and blueberry etc. It took my son a while to like banana and he isn't fussed about apple, but loves pear, mango, grapes and blueberries.

I've tried offering the fruit to my son in pieces he can hold but he has no interest and still wants me to feed it to him so mashing it up is the only way I get him to eat fruit.

carang is offline Registered User
    9 months is still a little young not to be mashing it at least. i think at that age, i still cooked the apple to make it softer.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    My son is just over 8 months and he also hates anything not pureed. Our feeding sessions have turned very long lately. But if I give him some kind of puree, especially fruit, he`ll slurp it right up very happily.
    If you want to give your baby chunks, maybe you can put it in one of those feeder bags. Munchkin makes them, so does Sassy. I got one at Eugene to try it out. It lets them bite and suck the fruit (or whatever) without having the whole thing in their mouth.
    Maybe you can just stick to puree though. even adults still enjoy pureed fruit.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I started chopping softer fruit up around that age - I started by mashing the bananas with a fork and leaving chunkier bits, then started chopping small pieces of softer fruit like strawberries/kiwifruit etc. My daughter is now 11 months and I've been giving her whole strawberries and 1/8 of an apple with the skin/core off for at least a month or two now. I also cook 1/3 of a carrot, cool in ice water and let her chomp on that. She had 8 teeth at 7 months though so I think she was ready... at 7 months, she was biting huge chunks off the really hard teething biscuits!! Now, she hates being fed by a spoon and wants to self feed for EVERYTHING... The only time that she lets me spoon feed her is if she has a spoon too which she can dip in the bowl too - and if it's chunky, not pureed... I would just experiment, see what works for you.

I'm actually having a similar problem at the moment, but with vegetables. She only wants to eat bread/biscuits, meat, dairy (cheese and yoghurt) or fruit. She's completely gone off vegetables!! I give her hand sized bits of broccoli and she used to eat it so well, now she uses it to brush her hair, then chucks it on the floor when she's done ;)

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    wow....my daughter, at 1 still eats pureed apple sauce and pear...she bites from the banana and has no problem with other soft foods....I guess I'm just scared she will choke (first time mommy syndrome perhaps) cause she LOVES her food and will take a big bite of whatever I give her!

leelsahy is offline Registered User
    thanks for all your sharing

nicolejoy, my girl rejected spoon too so pureed fruit also not ok for her. And you know, we have to use rice biscuit as a spoon to feed her porridge at meal time. She still has no teech (9 month) so I'm always scared she will choke if giving in chunks/dice.

hope her interest in fruit will come back soon