Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

View Poll Results: Which travel plan do you think is best?

Voters
11. This poll is closed
  • Travel with baby in the summer: 1-2 months old

4 36.36%
  • Travel with baby home in the winter: 7 months old

2 18.18%
  • Either one is going to be good

4 36.36%
  • Either one is going to be stressful -- avoid if possible

1 9.09%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question about travelling with a baby

canadienne is offline Registered User

Question about travelling with a baby

Hi everyone,

If all goes according to plan, my husband and I will have our first baby on May 21st. (knock on wood!) Due to work constraints, we can only travel home to Canada at certain times of year.

Would you suggest travelling with a one-to-two-month old in the summer, or a seven-month-old at Christmas? Any comments or feedback would be super appreciated.

Thanks
    CDN

carang is offline Registered User

both are fairly easy to travel with....it's once they become mobile and walking etc that things become a little more difficult.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

It depends on how much you want your baby to interact with your family. If it`s 1-2 months, the flying should be really easy, but your family will pretty much just be able to look at it, hold it, etc. At 7 months, the flying could be fairly challenging, but the potential rewards greater, once you`re there. I went to Canada with mine at 4.5 months - kind of in between.

nino is offline Registered User

We traveled with our daughter at 3 months - she was a dream, slept almost the entire flight (13 hours), waking to feed and have her diaper changed. I flew back to Canada (15 hours, layover, then 2.5 hours) with her by myself at 5.5 months, returning when she was 6.5 months. On the way over, she slept most of the time, on the way back she was much more alert and a bit more difficult to have sit still for such a long stretch, but still not too bad as she was not yet mobile.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User

The younger the better, until they get mobile at least. My oldest first flight from the US to Europe was at 3 months and again at 7 months. Both smooth. The twins had their first international flight (4 1/2 hours) at age 2 1/2 months and their first intercontinental flight at 5 months. I think it's the best age to travel ...

Sazzy is offline Registered User

Your family will enjoy the baby more at 7 months. But a Canadian winter - it will be cold. Also at 7 months, you would have started giving solids so you may have to stock up on some jar food for the flight. Both times will be ok - different ads and difference disads

Koan is offline Registered User

We've travelled a lot with my son and older is better. At 2 mnths your baby will sleep a lot, may not have much of a routine and won't be as social as at 7 months.

7 months will require a bit more work on your part (providing more entertainment, sticking with baby's routine, and jet lag may be a factor), but I think it will be more enjoyable as baby will be in a routine and will be very interested in playing with other people.

babymommy2 is offline Registered User

Your family will enjoy baby no matter what so I wouldn't use that as a consideration. Like others have said there are a few different things to consider at those ages, but over all both ages will be fine, it is toddlers that are the real nightmare! I would consider whether you are up to flying at 1 month. 2 months is better. 1 month postpartum the last thing I want to do was go anywhere, let alone fly. You will be really sleep deprived and still getting used to being a parent. If I could only piuck one of those times of year, I would definatly go with christmas. Time with family, baby's first christmas, you will be much more settled into being parent, the winter, the snow, all makes for a great christmas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast