Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Formula feeds and airplanes

Wildcatfin is offline Registered User
    No you can't take boiled water onboard. Unless, you could get it after security - we did tend to fill up a few bottles at departure gate coffee stands to take on with us.

We did 14 flights in our babies 1st 10 months and most times security were fine but sometimes they made us pour away the steriliser or even triesd to make us drink it. Ditto with jars of SEALED baby food, total pain (has allergies so we needed to take special food).

Planes did usually give us boiled water, not a problem, and we washed bottles ourselves in the loos and took steriliser tablets onboard to use.

Some flights didn't do boiling (seemed to depend on staff, not airline!) so we did use bottled water and he was OK with it. I noticed, however, that mould (?) in small granules seemed to appear after a few hours in warmish environments so only made up smaller amounts he would drink before that happened. I think it was mould - tiny dark grains/ blobs in the bottom of the bottles....

Some flights had all you could ever ask for for babies, even nappies which was nice to be offerred. Oh and some won't let you bin nappies in the loo compartments.

cat x

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    When I traveled with my baby, I had no problem taking water past security. They told me at the check in counter that if you had a baby they made allowances about that.

Koan is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Shenzhennifer View Post
    When I traveled with my baby, I had no problem taking water past security. They told me at the check in counter that if you had a baby they made allowances about that.
    Same. I have always taken a sippy of water and a spare bottle of boiled water with me and never had a single issue. In the last 2 mnths we've taken about 10 flights and nobody has asked us about it.

When putting the bag through the scanner we just took DS's sippy of water out of the bag so it was in plain view and the security staff could see what the fluid was.

happyvalleygirl is offline Registered User
    Thanks everyone. Just noticed that Bumps to babes sells cartons of ready made Aptamil! I'll be taking those instead.

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shenzhennifer View Post
    I don`t mean to hijack your thread with my possibly idiotic comments, but being new to the formula thing, can`t you just use bottled spring water? That`s what we do. We drink distilled water for ourselves and I buy spring water for the baby. Am I poisoning him? :0
    Shenzhennifer

I used to use that Wildalp Baby Water, I bought it from ThreeSixty Supermarket, but even the midwife at Annerly told me to boil it. I also have one of those Brita Water Filter containers that you keep in the fridge so I just boil that water on the stove in a pot for about 5 min. I was told that boiling in a jug is not long enough and jugs can be "dirty". There are some bottled waters you can use occasionly I think one is Volvic. Apparently mineral water has too many salts in them.

I've sent you a PM just in case you missed this message.

rani is offline Administrator
    Karmah, are you sure 5 mins is enough? Remember watching Survivor (tv show) and they were told to boil water for 10 mins.

KKKK is offline Registered User
    Just a warning - HK have always been good at allowing baby food and fluids through but i recently flew and had ella's kitchen baby food sachets and aptimil pre made cartons taken off me - they said I could take the milk but only if i opened them and drank from them - therefore making them pointless!!!

My friend on the same flight was allowed to take her same ellas kitchen food sachets so I think it depends whi you have (although we went through security together!!) I think because of the milk cartons they searched my bag and not hers.

Anyway this is just a warning as I know in the past they have allowed me to take both through - luckily that time we where only flying short haul and my baby is older so we could give him bottled cold water no problem instaed - I don't know what I would have done if I'd been flying long haul when he was small !!

K

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    Quote Originally Posted by rani View Post
    Karmah, are you sure 5 mins is enough? Remember watching Survivor (tv show) and they were told to boil water for 10 mins.
    Oh I had read that 5 min was enough according to a couple of baby books...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast