Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Formula feeds and airplanes

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I`ve also always read that 5 min is the normal time for sterilizing water or equipment. In fact, I`m wary to boil it much longer as the water would condense and become slightly more concentrated. I learned this from drinking overboiled water - yuck!

chrissy2 is offline Registered User
    Hi I just came back from Beijing only a 3 hr flight...anyways I had my water pre done at home and I put them in the baby bottles (i made up 6) ......they let me in Hong Kong and Beijing through security like this it was no problem, I just told them before the scan that I had baby bottles with steralized water and my formula can in my bag! When I got on plane I had a platic cup and asked the girl to bring me hot water and I warmed the formula up that way, I just put the bottle inside the cup with the hot water.

hiannaya is offline Registered User
    I also had issue regarding this matter when i traveled from Hk. I did two long hour flights with my daughter, to LA when she was 4 month and to Sydney when she was 6 month. The security check spot after immigration is very easy to pass if you explain to them what that water is for, but if you travel to USA or Australia, there's another security check in front of gate and they usually don't allow you to bring any kind of liquid. Airport staffs and security staffs in HK airport seems like they don't have very clear guideline because they let me pass the second security spot without any problem once and then made me pour out the water another time. Actually I'm very upset with this. An airport staff explained to me that this is US and Australian goverment's requirement not Hong Kong's. But when I checked with the airport security staff in the states and Australian goverment's official website, they have no problem with moms bringing steralized water to feed their babies.
    No airline can make boiled water on board, they just serve 'hot water' from the tap and if you travel cathay pacific in economy class, good luck for us. They even don't serve mineral water to economy class passengers. It's 'tap water'!

I was upset when I checked HK airport website and found the quote that they allow passenger to bring baby food but not water because it can be provided on board. They serve special meals to people who have restriction on their food because of religion or health condition. Then aren't they supposed to provide some pre-boiled water to the passengers with baby if they request?

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    [QUOTE=hiannaya;928831] They even don't serve mineral water to economy class passengers. It's 'tap water'!

QUOTE]

Wow, bad experience, sorry.
    I flew Air Canada and I was given big bottles of water to keep at my side. They had loads and loads of them in back. Remind me not to fly Cathay anytime soon.

Sazzy is offline Registered User
    I was able to take pre-boiled water but it had to be in the bottle and I had to taste one. I would try to avoid bottled water as babies arent suppose to have it until they are over 12 months. I used it because I had run out of water but it gave my daughter diarrohea. The airlines will heat the water in the bottle if you ask them.

jaz1311 is offline Registered User
    hi

generally all custom security are ok with pre boiled water, infant food in packets, jar baby food and can of liquid formula as long as your baby is below 24 months.

I just came back to canada from hk and i took with me bottled juice, jar food, packet of baby smoothies, and cans of liquid formula and there was no problem with the custom.

i find it really convenient to bring bottles with disposable liners. I saw the Avant ones being sold in eugene club but i got my own playtex ones from canada. It saves you the hassle of washing just change the liners to a new one after every feed.

I hope the info helps

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Hi Jaz1311, I got my Playtex liners from the States, but have not been able to find them in HK. Do you have any luck?

Do you use a new liner for each feed, i.e. 6 - 8 liners a day?

jaz1311 is offline Registered User
    Hi

no luck in getting them in HK. I can sent you if you need them. I can after every feed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123