Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

BF morning and night only - how long will supply hold up?

carang is offline Registered User
    i find that video creepy... i could only wonder if the child was a boy would the gov't be going after her for child abuse? as far as i'm concerned almost 8 is WAYYYYYYYY too old. (but that's just me, i'm sure there are those out there that would disagree)

tstmum is offline Registered User
    LeahH, I returned to work when mine was about 6.5 months, too. I was doing 3 BFs a day at that stage (morning, lunch, before bed) with 1-2 milk formula feeds. I pumped at work at lunchtime for a few weeks, but then it all got a bit much and I dropped to 2 BFs as you plan to do. I managed to do this for about another 2 months, then dropped to just 1 BF (in the morning) for another 2 months. Then was fully weaned just before 12 months, as I had a work trip coming up. It worked out well for us all. Good luck!

Koan is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    i find that video creepy... i could only wonder if the child was a boy would the gov't be going after her for child abuse? as far as i'm concerned almost 8 is WAYYYYYYYY too old. (but that's just me, i'm sure there are those out there that would disagree)
    I do!

I thought it was lovely.

My son is just on 20mnths and I love it that he can now verbalise how much he enjoys BFing, he tells me it's yummy! I hope he BFs long enough to remember it when he's older, like the older daughter in the video does.

The whole video gave me the warm fuzzies. Thanks for posting, thanka2.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    tstmum and Katelynbb - when you cut back on the number of breastfeeds during the work week what did you do on weekends, public holidays or other days off? Did you also BF only twice a day. I suppose if your breasts are only producing enough milk for two feeds a day Mondays to Fridays, then on weekends, they won't magically produce enough for five feeds.

tstmum - When you cut out the pumping at work, were you very uncomfortable in the beginning? Right now I work reduced hours (9-4) and pump twice at work. But because my work load is getting heavier, I am thinking about stopping my pumping at work and only feeding him directly when I am at home (which would be one feed in the morning before work, 1 in the late afternoon when I get home and 2 in the evening). But if I all of a sudden cut out the pumping at work, I'm afraid that I will feel very full and uncomfortable in the afternoon at work. How did you deal with that?

Thanks!!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    But Koan, does your son like it better than mangos?

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by FutureHKmom View Post
    tstmum and Katelynbb - when you cut back on the number of breastfeeds during the work week what did you do on weekends, public holidays or other days off? Did you also BF only twice a day. I suppose if your breasts are only producing enough milk for two feeds a day Mondays to Fridays, then on weekends, they won't magically produce enough for five feeds.
    I know lots of mothers who have returned to work and just feed in the morning and evening during the week and whenever the baby wants at the weekends.

Remember - your body replaces the milk taken out. So if you take more out at the weekends you replace more at the weekends.

Please don't worry about your milk supply - it will look after itself.

tstmum - When you cut out the pumping at work, were you very uncomfortable in the beginning? Right now I work reduced hours (9-4) and pump twice at work. But because my work load is getting heavier, I am thinking about stopping my pumping at work and only feeding him directly when I am at home (which would be one feed in the morning before work, 1 in the late afternoon when I get home and 2 in the evening). But if I all of a sudden cut out the pumping at work, I'm afraid that I will feel very full and uncomfortable in the afternoon at work. How did you deal with that?
    If you feel full and uncomfortable at work. Express a little, not a full feed, just enough to be comfortabl again. This will stop unpleasent things happening like plugged ducts and mastitis and will let your body slowly adjust to the fact you aren't expressing during the day.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

katelynBB is offline Registered User
    FutureHKmom: I don't add feedings on the weekend, so she only gets the morning and night feedings on the breast and formula during the day. I probably don't have enough supply to feed her the entire day on Sat and Sun... plus weaning her off the daytime feedings was a bit hard on me and her (since I love breastfeeding her), I didn't want her confused. So I kept her routine the same throughout the entire week.

Not sure how long I will be doing this for, she's 13 months now and I think I'll let her decide when she wants to quit...or until I have very low supply.

HTH
    ~Theresa~

tstmum is offline Registered User
    FutureHKMom:
    When I cut back on the midday feed during the week, I also cut this out at the weekend.
    I was only pumping once at work, and over a few weeks noticed that the amount I was pumping slowly started to decrease. Once I cut this out I think I felt a bit full (it was a few years ago, so memory hazy!) for the first few days but never uncomfortable. If you're pumping twice at work, why don't you cut it to once for a week and see how you go, then cut it altogether if you need to. Wear breast pads if you are prone to leaking!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast