Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

hoping for help from all you hk yummy mummy's

indi'n'zai'smum is offline Registered User
    WOW!!!!! thanks so much guys!!!!! love all the info - if u think of anything else keep it coming!!!! really good things for me to think about there that i just would not have known!!!! esp re helper and cny!
    we had planned to move start of jan - into serviced then find place .....so do u think it would be better if we moved straight into place early jan b4 cny - as it sounds like things slow down, get more expensive. Given i have heard u have to negotaite a bit with yr rent - do u think b4 cny would be better as land lords would like to start ny with tennants. maybe a silly question ??? we can pretty much move when ever we want but thought our 5yr should have christmas here before we go.what do u all think? i know your school terms are totally different - she is booked into a woodlands school at aberdeen at the moment. thank u all so much - pls pass on any thing else u think will help!~!! :)

Lucylou is offline Registered User
    We moved in the month of January but moved straight in to an apartment rather than a serviced apartment. My husband had to come out on business about 6 weeks before we moved out here so he put by some time to view apartments and found one he liked (I trusted him to make a decision and had given him a checklist before hand eg; child friendly, pushchair accessable etc...). We then shipped all our furniture out here saving the need to buy new furniture. We arrived here on a Friday, stayed the night in a hotel and then moved in to our apartment on the Saturday when our furniture arrived. It depends on how long you are here for - we know that we are only here on a timed ex-pat contract so will be moving home at some point in the next couple of years and also your circumstances at home. We were able to 'bunk' with family until we moved so were able to ship our furniture before we left.

Good Luck with everything. I agree....have Christmas with family and come out in the New Year.

monte is offline Registered User
    One more thought regarding helpers ... We don't have one, and it's a good decision for our family, BUT, our big frustration is that there aren't other options for childcare like I'm used to at home, since it's just expected that everyone has helpers. You can't just call up the neighbor teenage girl to come watch the kiddos, people don't really do "babysitting coops," there's no mother's day out, etc. Basically the only option is to get a part-timer, as has been suggested, but that's technically illegal. Don't know how risky it is or how likely to get caught. This is the one thing that drives me CRAZY about HK--very few options for childcare if you don't have a helper. If money isn't an issue and you get an apartment with adequate space, I would get a helper just so you have the possibility of going out if you want to!

musicalmama is offline Registered User
    I love HK and like you I had so many questions when we first moved here from the US two and a half years ago. I'd like to add that you can hire a part time helper as long as the person is a "local" Hong Kong-er. I have hired a part time helper before my baby arrived, then I hired a full timer. If you have any other questions you can PM me or ask here and I'm more than happy to provide some input.
    Good luck on the move and I hope you'll like HK as much as we do!

Michelle
    Baby, Children, Family, Maternity photographer
    Hong Kong, photographer, Newborn, baby, maternity, family, children, photographer hong kong

hi guys- sorry i am as new to technology as i am to hk - bit sad really - so hope i am responding in right place - don't know how to respond to u all individually!!!
    Musical mama - how do u legally hire a part time helper. From what the other ladies have kindly advised me - this might be a great option for me as being an aussie i have never even known any one with a helper - let a lone a live in one - and like all of b4 hk - have done it all on my own the last 6 yrs! having said that i totally agree with one of the earlier posts - u can still do the school run - baths, stories, bed - cook tea- but have some one do the irritating little things that rob u of time with the kids like ironing!!!!
    i would really appreciate info on that - also if u know a way i could hire some one even just for a week or 2 while i am unpacking.
    i have another totally unrelated question - can any one tell me with baby bottles of formula- do u boil the tap water there and give it in the bottle - or used bottled water to prepare formula.
    also when moving onto fresh cows milk - is there fresh cows milk to be had in hk???? didn't see too many farms!!lol - i know they import the long life stuff from aus, but that would have preservatives.
    thanks ladies - keep it coming!!!!! any gems u have that u wish u had known - or that now after time u have found make yr life easier i would appreciate!!! thanks!!!!!

slamdunk is offline Registered User
    we use boiled filtered tap water for baby formula. for fresh milk we use Australian imported fresh milk (Pura Masters) which you can get in all the big supermarkets. Just personal preference/taste etc as there are quite a few cheaper local options (HK or China dairies) which i know are fine.

also, think longlife milk doesn't have preservatives - it's just been treated by UHT? but there is fresh import avail. and the fancier deli's offer organic options for a price.

excellent pura it is - so glad to know that - my husband works in freight so i can get stuff here cheap - but i don't think fresh milk will make it!! lol. MayC - that is a good tip about the customising of furniture - could u reccomend any places that do this....i think u and the other ladies have pretty much convinced me to just buy it over there - we have a king bed too - but would be really upset if it didn't fit. also think hk may have more funiture designed with space saving in mind - like with storage under beds? any one know? am looking at bringing over loft bed with trundle and storage for my daughter - has built in book case can get it made her for 1000 aus $ - ( which is 5000hk) should i do this - or could i buy similar over there for same price...any one know - once again thanks ladies yr help is really appreciated!!!

carang is offline Registered User
    i would definitely wait and get it here. if your hubby can get stuff shipped to you cheaply, then i would wait.

you REALLY have no idea of the size of place you will get. not just that, but the layout of the rooms. it may be that the place you get has a closet or door or window or something where the bookshelf will be etc.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast