Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

hoping for help from all you hk yummy mummy's

indi'n'zai'smum is offline Registered User

true true - i think it is time for a massive garage sale !!!!

yonge is offline Registered User

I was so heartened by the outpouring of support from everyone! I just moved to Hong Kong for the 2nd time three months ago and I'm rediscovering this community. Just one thing I would like to add to everyone's great suggestions is PriceRite, a local furniture and furnishing shop. I got quite a bit of furniture from this place this time as their furniture is great for small spaces and is very reasonable, even compared with IKEA! There are a number of stores, so please choose to go to a larger one to see a wider selection of furniture.

i'm back!!! school holidays in australia - it has been frantic!!! just trying to arrange my kids passports has kept me busy enough!!!
    you are right - the support and advice from other mums who u don't even know is beautiful and amazing and heartening that that is the community i am moving towards.
    I am starting the "pack, store, buy" list.
    i was wondering about electricals - small and large appliances. do u cut the cords and fit them with hk plugs - or just use adapters.
    typing this one handed with wriggling 16 week old so more soon!!!!!

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)

Regarding electricals you will need an adaptor as the HK plugs are the same as UK plugs, 3 big and fat prongs. I bought all my electricals in HK and got the plugs changed by an electrician when I returned to Australia. Depending on how long you will be in HK I would just use adaptors otherwise you would need to cut the cords again to return to Australia and the replacement plugs are never as nice as the originals.

Also alot of the apartments in HK don't have ovens, expats usually buy those small bench tops ovens. We just made do with a convection microwave, gas burners and BBQ.

As for furniture, visit IKEA they have so much stuff and its easier to fit in your new apartment rather than try and make your exisiting furniture fit. You can always sell it before you leave on the Asia Expat or GeoExpat websites.

Good luck with the move.

carang is offline Registered User

i lived in hk for 12 years before i moved to a place with a real oven! man, did i ever miss it! we had a "table top" one, but it just wasn't the same.

flats in places like Discovery Bay, southside & sai kung that have more expats often have ovens.

i really wouldn't bother bringing much. things here are not too expensive and you don't want to clutter up your small kitchen with things you won't use very often. (eg. i bought a food processor here YEARS ago. it's now been boxed up for over 2 years and hasn't been used! my helper prefers to do it all by hand.)

ok cool - i have a husband , who , like most men is never keen to part with cash for anything to do with the house! so he would like to bring as many of our electricals as we deem we would fit! i was just concerned about using the adapters for a long period of time - i assume though they are perfectly safe if every one is doing it??? we will be in hk for 2 yrs ( so we say) so hubby doesn;t want to outlay for new appliances.
    ok next question - i never know whether i am supposed to start a new thingy or just keep going here - so i'll keep going!!!
    is most fruit consumed in hk from china?? this might seem like a strange question but when in india we didn't eat fruits grown in local water - like watermelon - as it could make u really sick ( found that one out the hard way!)
    i know that most people probably get their groceries from that park and shop place - but are they all imported? and rather pricey??

carang is offline Registered User

there are local fruits (lychee etc) that are fine.

a lot of what you see in the supermarkets and even in the wet markets/fruit stands are imported. my mother, who ran a produce counter in canada for 22 years, was shocked when she saw the boxes for the fruit here. they were exactly the same as what she sold.

there are also local organic farmers around that you can order from.

some things here are ridiculously expensive (ie. raspberries) others are reasonable.

kiwiinoz is offline Registered User

We've found produce we buy here - both from the markets and supermarkets are all fine. The produce comes from all over the world. Bananas from the philippines, mushrooms from new zealand, apples from the USA... even in the markets you can ask WHERE the produce is from (if they speak enough english or you speak enough cantonese). You can choose in the supermarkets from local or imported - and obviously the price varies.
    Regardless of where we buy our produce, we always wash it just out of habit - even used to do that back home in Oz.
    It more comes down to where you find the quality and price of produce you want will be where you shop.

On appliances: We use some HK appliances and some from Oz - haven't had any problem using adapters for our Oz plugs.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast