Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Dealing with infant fever - please share your experience

adelaidejax is offline Registered User
    kimchiyu, did you go to get the tests done?
    originally baby had fever, but it was up and down for 24 hours, then we decided better go to A&E, and was given paracetomal - however after 12 hours, still nothing - infact the fever went even higher 39.7
    went back to hospital and was admitted.
    we have just spent the past 3 nights in hospital due to my baby having a fever and shivers. like you, have been informed that the baby has UTI. but i am really hesitant to have these tests done ie sticking something inside of him for the MCU test etc.
    the main reason is that they arent 100% sure.
    blood test have proven negative, as so far - today being the 4th day, still no results from the urine test to say what the bacteria is. as was informed that the longer it takes for results to come in, the better - meaning less likely chance of bacteria.
    the doctor has prescribed a 7 day course of antibiotics as well as some other form of medication for another 14 days, so in total 21 days of medicine.
    i still dont quite understand how a baby so small (mine is a week away from 3 months) can get UTI.
    actually, im concerned that maybe the fever is caused by the HIB vaccine which was taken given on the 24th dec - but the doctor said it isnt possible, as it shouldnt have given him the shivers and a seizure like attack, and reaction should be within 48 hours.
    but if he did have something internal wrong with him, why now does he get the fever, how come earlier on he didnt.
    which is why im thinking maybe it was the HIB vaccine, as thats the only major change in his life so far.
    has anyone else had any experience with fever. uti, vaccine in an infant?

megan2008 is offline Registered User
    I hope your son feels better. This is a long shot and probably unlikely but my daughter had a fever for seven days caused by an ear infection. She has been on antibiotics for the past 4 months it seems and has even got tubes in her ears. She seems to be resistant to the antibiotics they are given her and so they keep on giving her stronger and stronger antibiotics. For your son, it may be that the bacteria causing the infection has some resistance to the antibiotic so they may have to keep on trying until they get the right antibiotic to treat the strain of bacteria. Have they determined what bacteria is causing the fever?

megan2008 is offline Registered User
    sorry, I just read that they haven't identified the bacteria. basically, there is something causing the fever; could be viral or could be bacterial. If it is a virus, then anitbiotic will not make the sypmtoms go away and you just have to let you body fight it off. Basically, they are waiting to see if any bacteria will grow from the urine specimen and it can take a while for bacteria to show up. If he had a negative blood growth of bacteria, that is good, that means that (if there is bacteria causing the fever) it hasn't spread to the blood. Hope that helps.

mscheerful is offline Registered User
    When my son was 6 weeks old he had fever and we went to hospital and stayed there for 4 nights. The test came out that he had UTI so we went to have the tests done. I think it was 4 tests all together but after the 3rd test, the doctor told us that he did not need to do the last test because there is no relapse and only one episode of fever, that was when he was 6 weeks and no more when the 3rd test done, he was like 6-7 months old. Yes, he also had the meds for 21 days. The tests are all simple and nothing major, my baby was all right about it. My baby is now nearly 3, there is no relapse of UTI.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12