Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dealing with infant fever - please share your experience

kimchiyu is offline Registered User

Unhappy Dealing with infant fever - please share your experience

My son is 4 months old and he has been having fever for 5 days now.

Wonder if anyone of you had experience dealing with your baby's fever this young. He doesn't cough, doesn't have runny nose. Just a high temperate that often spike to 38/39c in very short time. Been to the doctor and he reckon it's flu and will take about 5 days to break. My son is prescribed paracetamol. Doctor also prescribed suppository to be used if temperature over 39c)

How long does it take for your baby to break the flu? Any tips for comforting the infant? My boy cried when his temperature is over 39c, twisted and turned in my arms as if he's in great pain.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

MilkMonster is offline Registered User
    hi, its always hard for mums when baby is sick and there is not much you can do to help. with fever just keep giving the paracetamol and keep hydrated. your baby may have something viral like roseola or fifth disease - both not serious but has symptoms of 5 days of fever and then rash after that. i don't think your baby is in pain. probably just uncomfortable and grouchy. hang in there, I'm sure he will be better soon. both my kids have had fevers for 5 days (followed by rashes). they were both ok after another week or so.

Konradsmom is offline Registered User
    My son went through what you descripbed twice in a year, and for him it lasted around 7-8 days. Nothing you can do except warm baths, lots of water.

I'm chinese so I also gave him TCM which helped , in fact the second time around I started TCM on the first day and it was over in 3 days.......there is a very simple recipe which you can find in TCM stores, you boil it and it comes out as water for the baby to drink - its an age old recipe which I also used as a baby and its relativley harmless , but depending you whether you're chinese, I don't know if you want to try.

MaiYe is offline Banned
    wat's the chinese medicine you are referring? pls advice, tks.

reei is offline Registered User
    my girl had roseola measle too. after tha.i use the chinese herbs' kam ngan fa' = gold silver flower.. buy one ounce from the chinese store. costs hkd12.00 per ounce.
    boil it for half an hour and bathe her in this.

kimchiyu is offline Registered User
    Hi, just to give an update of my son's condition. It turned out that the fever was due to urinary tract infection caused by E.Coli bacteria. I am sharing this so that parents are aware of UTI being a possibility.

My son's fever still didn't come down after another 2 days so we took him to the hospital. Poor boy ended up going through a chest x-ray, extraction of mucus from respiratory tract, blood test and urine extraction from bladder.

After diagnosis, he was given antibiotic and that immediately took care of the fever. We stayed in the hospital for 3 nights. First 2 nights was spent in the insolation ward waiting for confirmation that he hasn't got any other contagious diseases.

The treatment include 10 days of antibiotic followed by low dose antibiotic for prevention until some further tests to be done - a kidney ultrasound and voiding cystourethrogram (an x-ray examination of a child's bladder and lower urinary tract that uses a special form of x-ray called fluoroscopy and a contrast material).

curiousmummy is offline Registered User
    Konradsmom
    What's the Chinese medicine that you tried? Care to share?
    you can PM me

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    Kimchiyu glad that your son is better! Do you know how he got the UTI?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast