Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Changes at ESF (Tsing Yi)

ESF(TY)Mum is offline Registered User
    Just an update.

I spoke to the management team at ESF Tsing Yi to sort out some issues and I must say that they have done a fairly decent job - very approachable. Didn't always like their responses but still, at least they are fair to all students and parents and will consider individual needs if there are by merit and a case to case basis.

From experience in another school, this unbiased approach does not exist in all kindergartens. So, all up, although I'm irritated by the timing of the change, they've made an effort to become better organised as the last two weeks has shown.

gerlie is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by ESF(TY)Mum View Post
    Just an update.

I spoke to the management team at ESF Tsing Yi to sort out some issues and I must say that they have done a fairly decent job - very approachable. Didn't always like their responses but still, at least they are fair to all students and parents and will consider individual needs if there are by merit and a case to case basis.

From experience in another school, this unbiased approach does not exist in all kindergartens. So, all up, although I'm irritated by the timing of the change, they've made an effort to become better organised as the last two weeks has shown.
    Well, nothing we can do now,it's already in plan.They start visiting their new classes and new teaching team,my son's teaching team will stay the same so i'm happy enough.

HappyV is offline Registered User
    kiwiinhk - it's only the beginning of October. If you're still completely happy with the communication by June, then that either means you have lower expectations, or they've cleaned up their act.
    Something to keep in mind - the teacher rarely writes in the books after the first few weeks: that is left up to the teaching assistants: and they are not allowed to communicate on matters regarding policy or education - just stuff like missing socks and library books.
    They failed on several occasions to give us extremely important information about my child - I'm not screwing around, or making it up. If you want more details, feel free to PM me.

kiwiinhkg is offline Registered User
    Happy V - My child is now in the 2nd year there - we are not new parents that have only recently started. Remember the communication book is a two way system - if you have a problem / question then you will get a response that same day if you have written it in the book.
    All the parents in my child's class have the teachers ESF email address and also when emailing the higher management I have always had a response within the day. The weekly newsletter updates we receive not only explains what they have done that week but what the children will be doing for the following week. I feel completely in the loop as to what my child is learning.

Everyone has different expectations / experiences of a kindergarten - but I personally can not say anything apart from positive things about the kindergarten.

Viviangugu is offline Registered User
    I agree with Kiwiinhkg - it's a two way partnership when it comes to KG education. The more you get in touch with the teachers, the more they will know what you feel, think and expect of the school. I also have a son at the kinder and I find that if you ask precise questions directly related to your child's learning progress or behaviour, rather than random or overall comments about the school in general, you'll get your concerns addressed better which always leads to good and helpful outcome. Bear in mind that parents have a lot of effort to put in as well if you want this partnership to work and foster for the first 2 years of your child's life-long learning journey.

ESF(TY)Mum is offline Registered User
    The communication notebook and the direct email available to the class teacher are such great tools. When asked a question, the class teacher always responses within the day. And at times, at great length.

HappyV is offline Registered User
    Well, we would send messages via the communication book that went unanswered for weeks and weeks. We had specific questions that had huge implications for our child's education that simply never got answered. So we moved to a KG where the teachers actually practiced what they preached. Much better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12