Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Dr Philip Ho- Any feedback??

Obiwan is offline Registered User

I concur with Kmalia. Dr Ho came highly recommended to us by several of my friends. We were warned before hand that he is not the warmest of doctors, but they go to him because he is very competent. He just delivered my baby girl a month ago and I will definitely go to him again for my next baby. At our first visit, my husband went away feeling rather disgruntled. He felt that Dr Ho was not friendly, was quick in his examination, and did not give us a lot of information/advice etc. However, over the course of the pregnancy, he changed his mind completely as Dr Ho has always come through for us when we need him. I had 2 occasions of unknown pain, and he called me within a minute of my page, and both times were at some ungodly hours. He called me again the next day to follow up. During our delivery, he was very good too. He visited me early in the morning, during his lunch time and came in late at night for the delivery. Over time, we realise that while he is not the warmest of doctors, he is extremely competent which to us is more important than having a friendly doctor who is indecisive when it comes to the crunch. Of course having both warmth and experience would be the most ideal :) And we also found that we actually like being very efficient (ie quick) in our prenatal checks. If everything is fine with the pregnancy, you will find that Dr Ho will be quite fast in his examination, BUT if there is suspicion of any problem, he gets very detailed.

My humble opinion :)

Obiwan is offline Registered User

Oh Geomum, don't worry about inducement and natural delivery with Dr Ho. He did not give me any pressure at all on these matters. I opted for the former as I wasn't dilating well, the inducement was supposed to be done at 12pm as he initially suggested, but he actually observed me a little longer and I had it done at 4pm instead. Natural delivery for me. There was no need for C Section, Dr Ho didn't suggest it as well (if there is concern that he would do so to suit his time table).

Sage is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Obiwan View Post
    If everything is fine with the pregnancy, you will find that Dr Ho will be quite fast in his examination, BUT if there is suspicion of any problem, he gets very detailed.
    I agree with Obiwan. I had a great pregnancy, thanks to Dr. Philip Ho. There were complications and if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't want anyone else but him.

During checkups, he may be abrupt and all (this actually means good news to mother and baby) but when it really matters, his bedside manners and professionalism were impeccable. My husband, a professional himself, explained that Dr. Ho operates on a need-to-know basis. This may not be what everyone wants but for us, it's what we paid him for. We'd worry when he tells us to worry. Also, after having him for my OBGYN, I'm never going to anyone else for the dreaded pap smear and other routine gynae visits.

I can't think highly enough of him but again, it's personal. It's important to have someone you feel comfortable with.

Good luck.

fingerscrossed is offline Registered User

I totally agree with Obiwan. I was with Dr Ho and my husband and I totally respect him for his professionalism and 'know-how'. Also agree that he's not the most chatty of Drs but who needs chattiness and small talk in the office? He's actually quite OK with answering any naive questions from a first-time mum and his nurse is excellent with answering any questions so there's no need to wait for him to get back to you. He also doesn't believe in C-sections, like some other doctors out there. In fact, he said I shouldn't have probs with a natural delivery. And the other thing that impressed me was that he arrived in 15mins for my delivery (my labour happened all too quickly). Geomum, you might have caught him on a bad day but who doesn't have bad days.

kmalia is offline Registered User

geomum,
    Also - I had a natural and vaginal delivery (did break down and have a bit of Entonox gas at the end). I was five days overdue, and was prepared to go longer - I did not want to be induced. I used Hypnobirthing to deal with pain management, and when I discussed this with Dr. Ho he was neither overly supportive or overly negative.

Dr. Ho did suggest that I arrive at the hospital earlier than I did (when contractions were 6-7 minutes apart) but I labored at home much longer (30 seconds long 4 minutes apart). But I still felt I was at the hospital a long time, so I am glad I did not go up when he suggested!

I do think that Dr. Ho definitely errs on the side of caution and as with other posters, I agree that unless he is extremely concerned, he'll say very little.

geomum is offline Registered User

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences they were certainly helpful in restoring some faith back in Dr Ho. I was just a bit alarmed by his abruptness and lack of empathy on certain occassions.
    I dont understand why his nurse schedules appointments so close together, perhaps she receives such instructions from the doctor himself. Like I mentioned in half an hour there were approx ten patients in the waiting room. I shall see how it goes for my next appointments and perhaps might go to Dr Lam for 20 week scan like SB2 suggested :)

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

Geomum - I have sent you a PM.

Also, on changing doctors and keeping your booking, I would ring Matilda direct as I am sure that I read somewhere that you can change doctors and keep your existing booking but that there may be a small administration fee which Matilda charges (the reason I remember is I thought it was outrageous to charge a fee to change the name on your booking from one doctor to another!!). I'd give them a call to discuss direct.

You need to be happy that on the day, your doctor will be on your side and you are comfortable with them. It is definately not too late to change. Do bear in mind though that all the "good" obs in HK will be busy and you could get multiple deliveries on the same day with any of them.

Good luck

SB2

sorchului is offline Registered User

My friend recommended Dr. Ho to me. Both of us are very happy with him. I have visited other doctors before for pap smear tests and check ups and still find Dr. Ho is the best.

I am sure everyone has bad days and most of the doctors have long waiting time and emergency deliveries sometimes.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast