Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Dr Philip Ho- Any feedback??

geomum is offline Registered User
    For the benefit for others would like to share that I called up Matilda just now and was told that I get to keep my current booking even if I change doctors. There isn't any fee I need to pay, all I need to do is tell them about the details of the new doctor.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    That is good news. Thanks for the update.

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Impatience is definitely one of my worst vices :) But I have never had problem waiting for Dr Ho, and I typically have to wait different length of time at each visit. I figure that he is late as some other mums need him at the hospital for delivery/check ups and I will one day be one of the mums, and I hope he will put me as a priority vis-a-vis his clinic patients. As a comparison, I met with a very renowned pediatrician who told me she cannot standby for me during my delivery cos she has clinic duties in Central (I changed ped immediately!).

zac08 is offline Registered User
    geomum, i think i was probably in the waiting room with you yesterday, haha! my appmt was for 1030am, but due to the long wait, didn't get in til well past 11am. i HATE waiting but i do know (having been the anxious patient before with a laundry list of questions) that dr ho is extremely patient when it comes to answering any and all questions you may have. he is a man of few words, quiet by nature (most likely in and out of his doctors' garb), however, if you have questions or if there is a need, he will spend as much time with you as necessary. at first, i too was a bit put off by what i thought to be standoffishness (having come from a much much chattier and warmer dr. dawkins for my first pregnancy) but gradually my husband and i grew to realize that this is just his nature - quiet, reserved but methodical, careful, competent.

the exchange you detailed in your first post made me laugh (sorry!) simply because it really reminded me of the exchange i shared with him yesterday. i am 31 weeks pregnant and i often have had to ask him to do the scan when he wasn't planning on doing it. as one of the other posters mentioned, in the US/North American system where i am from, scans are also not frequently done unless at critical points during your pregnancy. to dr ho's credit, he has always acquiesed when asked to do the scan. when i was 17 weeks pregnant, i had the exact same exchange with him that you did. honestly, pretty much word for word.

i always tend to extend my visits a bit longer than i think he deems necessary because i tend to have lots of questions, but he has never given me the impression that he is not patient with me or wants me to leave. curt and succinct YES but impatient definitely not.

this is my experience.

o_lll is offline Registered User
    I was referred by a friend to see Dr Ho when I pregnant with my daughter back in 2003 while his clinic was still New World. I switched to another doctor after 2 consultations. It seemed like I was only there to do the ultrasound. Not much information was received from him n each consultation last less than 10 minutes including the ultrasound. it was our 1st baby n we didn't know what to expect. with the money we paid, he's not worth it.

some years later, i went to him again to do my annual pat smears. just because he's avaialble the same day I call. his nurse called to say the report was not good, I should do a colposcopy to decide what further treatment would be needed. She said he can do that for me at Matilda on a date. I asked her if I can do that in Adventist or Sanatorium because I know he delivers there too. She said she needed to check with his schedule n would come back to me. Then she called again to ask me if I would go to Matilda which was more convenient to him. I finally figured it out that he was not willing to make a trip to Adventist just for one patient's small treatment.

I simply couldn't take him anymore.

Perhaps he has good skill but that is not all for a OB and I am not sure if he's really that good. One thing for sure is he doesn't have the care n passion that I would expect from a doctor.

W2BMOM is offline Registered User
    Totally agree with o_lll.

akachan is offline Registered User
    So many people keep saying about many different doctors: "he/she is not friendly or has a bad bedside manner BUT they are knowledgable and competent"

Is it too much too ask that a DOCTOR be both compassionate and competent?? Why does that seem such the exception in HK? I don't get it.

zac08 is offline Registered User
    i don't think the fault people are finding with dr ho is lack of compassion - he has plenty of compassion. the problem with him is more his reticence, the fact that he is not a chatty guy. as one of the posters said, he operates on a need to know basis which is what many people pay their doctors to do. i feel that he does give you all crucial information. and if you are the kind of mother to be (like i was/am) who comes to his office armed with research and questions, he is also very patient in answering whatever you need answered.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast