Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Feeding new solids...

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

Feeding new solids...

Hi everyone - quick question about what to do when feeding new solids. I'm just starting to give 6 month old son veggies (he's been having rice cereal for 2-3 weeks now). As I am worried about any allergic reactions, I will follow the 3 day rule for introducing each new food. But was wondering, during those three days, do I give the same food everyday? Or do I only give it on the first day to see if he has a reaction and if he has none by the third day, move on to the next food item. Thanks!

yonge is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    For the second baby, I did the first food for three days, but by the second, I did only one day before alternating with the first for the next two days. Same for the third: alone on the first day before alternating and even mixing for the next two days. I found that when I was too strict with the first child keeping to 3 days for each food only that by the time I reintroduced something, he had forgotten that he liked it and rejected it! As a result, my first son now still prefers food that he was introduced to later - meats, sushi, etc., while my second still prefers his vegetables. Fortunately, they usually achieve a pretty balanced palate by age 4, so whatever makes it easier for you, go for it!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Tsuen Wan
    The idea is to give the same food every day. For example:
    Breakfast - cereal and 1st food
    Lunch - only cereal
    Next day same, next day same, then on day 4:
    Breakfast - cereal and 2nd food
    Lunch - cereal and 1st food
    And so on. So you`re always building on what they have already eaten, but not eliminating the previous foods.
    Actually, I didn`t follow this - I followed Annabel Karmel`s book at first where the baby got a new food every day nearly. But then when my baby gradually got an allergy, I had no idea what caused it and I had to start over, taking it more slowly.
    I would suggest to write down what you feed your baby and when and if there are any reactions like a rash or something.
    But I don`t think you necessarily have to do it like the 3 day 3 day thing, if you are closely monitoring what your baby is eating.