Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

View Poll Results: How many kids would you want to have if you had a choice?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll

1 1.59%

17 26.98%

31 49.21%
  • 4+

12 19.05%
  • None

2 3.17%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

How many kids would you want to have if you had a choice?

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    Cara, I agree with you in part. We could move out of midlevels but have already lived in NT and found it very isolating (most of our friends are on HK Island) and took 40 mins in the bus to work each way (and then, was pre-kids and I was working crazy long hours and almost all weekends). I have to travel to Central for work 3 times a week now and I could never do that 962 bus ever again! But it is not just that, the weather here is so hot for such a lot of the year that having a garden here is not as easy. And then there's the rain! We are in HK for a reason and we make it work but it does seem so much easier at home with a child than it does in HK (maybe partly "grass is greener" syndrome) ...

carang is offline Registered User
    it IS a trade off. we are lucky in that hubby works from home and I drive. it takes me 45 minutes to work (in tsing yi) each way. there are days that i wish we lived closer to it all, especially nights that i'd like to go to a movie or something with hubby. there are times that i look at folks that have some facilities (playground/pool) and wish... "god, it would be nice..." but i really am thankful for what we have. there is nowhere else in HK that we could ever hope to afford the space that we have. the travel time is a sacrifice that i'm willing to make. many people travel a lot more than that to and from work, at "home" and in HK, so i can do it too. (just wish the petrol wasn't so darned expensive!)

there are village houses that are only a few minutes from the nearest MTR station...

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    I voted for 1 and I have 1 adorable son. I just can't see myself having more. My family was shocked I even had one as all I focussed on was my career. I know there are pro's and con's to an only child but my hubby and I are very happy with our decision.

ctrbabe1 is offline Registered User
    I'd love 4 or 5. Right now we only have two. They are great, but I really feel like there is a son waiting to come to our family.
    All the best,
    Katie

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by starbucks2 View Post
    Cara, I agree with you in part. We could move out of midlevels but have already lived in NT and found it very isolating (most of our friends are on HK Island) and took 40 mins in the bus to work each way (and then, was pre-kids and I was working crazy long hours and almost all weekends). I have to travel to Central for work 3 times a week now and I could never do that 962 bus ever again! But it is not just that, the weather here is so hot for such a lot of the year that having a garden here is not as easy. And then there's the rain! We are in HK for a reason and we make it work but it does seem so much easier at home with a child than it does in HK (maybe partly "grass is greener" syndrome) ...
    If you were taking the 962 (the one that stops every few meters for a bus stop?!) then you must have lived in New Territories West, right? Now that there is the West Rail and it's connected through Hung Hom it's a LOT faster than the bus. I hate the 962 as well! If I had to take that thing every day I would definitely move.

We have to take a minibus to go to our train station (or walk for for about 15-20 minutes from our house) but as I went through the hassle with a newborn before I had any real connection to the mom/baby scene in HK, I guess I've adjusted. I appreciate that we can have more space for less than 1/2 the price and it's quiet at night. We don't have a garden (yard) but we do use the roof of our house for this purpose as well as our two balconies.

It's interesting to hear someone say that the NT can be isolating (which I do relate to because I lived as a foreigner in a nearly all-Chinese village inhabited by senior citizens with a newborn baby) but now, if I were to move to the midlevels, I would feel isolated. Even when I travel there (which is very, very rare) I feel like I'm in another world compared to what I'm used to--not exactly comfortable for me. I guess it just depends on where you live and what you're used to. Eventually I made friends here and it forced me to reach out of my comfort zone and make friends with Chinese and South East Asian people that I probably wouldn't have if I lived in what one of my Koreans affectionately referred to once as the "foreign ghetto."

There are many faces of Hong Kong and I'm glad that we can have our choice of where to live. Although Hong Kong Island is sort of the mascot or face of Hong Kong (that's where most of the post cards are of, right?) I feel really lucky to get to experience a part of Hong Kong (even with it's bad points--like the gruffness and well, downright rudeness a lot of NT locals exhibit) that many tourists and even foreigners never see.

carang is offline Registered User
    i, too, think it depends on where in the NT you choose to live. there are parts that have relatively more expats than others. (our village has only a handful of locals... ALL the other residents are expats! i think because locals consider it too far to travel.)

choosing to live in NT is like choosing to live on hk island. it is a LIFESTYLE choice. personally, i would NEVER, EVER, EVER choose to live in mid-levels. i would absolutely HATE it there. i much prefer having the space, quiet and safe environment for my kids, than the convenience of restaurants in spitting distance.

doesn't make your choice wrong, just different. but it is that, a choice.

to make it sound like a life with a garden and space is impossible is just not right. it IS possible, but you have to give something up to get it.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    I get really mentally worn out when I go to the midlevels--or basically anywhere in the "city." Like I will have done pretty much nothing and still feel just exhausted--also, my throat tends to hurt a lot more as well as itchy eyes from being around more diesel fumes--but it's getting pretty bad with that everywhere in Hong Kong it seems.

I just feel like where we live is a retreat away from all the non-stop action of HK and I really like that. But, for others who thrive on being in the middle of it all and go-go and like you said, always having western food (or at least really decent international food) at their fingertips, I'd say that the midlevels is the place.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234