Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

4 months old- to young for solids?

worf is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung

4 months old- to young for solids?

Hi all! My 4 month old little girl is showing alot of interest in food recently and seems to want more than just milk. I've been feeding her breastmilk almost exclusively( with the occasional bottle of formula when I'm at work). I bought some brown rice baby cereal but now I'm hesitating... Can anyone offer some advice?

Neha is offline Banned
    Mid Levels, Hong Kong
    U can try there is no hard and fast rule that u must absolutely wait for 6 months.

Portia is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Have you checked with your pediatrician? And is there any history of allergies in your family? If there is, there may be some link between introducing solids too early and food allergies which you might want to explore further.

babylicious is offline Registered User
    Honestly, it's SOOooo much easier when bubs is drinking just milk. It gets a whole lot messier when they start solids.

Contemporary wisdom says the baby's digestive system is too immature for solids.

Heinz and some other food companies will suggest starting the cereal at 4 months, but they would, wouldn't they?!

Check with your doc...

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Tsuen Wan
    How is her weight - has it more than doubled? How well does she sit? What are her feeding habits like and have they recently changed? These are some of the questions you can ask yourself when determining whether your baby is ready for solids. I started at 4 months 3 weeks, even though I really wanted to wait til 6 months. Anyway, the first month it goes very slowly so I don`t think it matters. 95% of her nutrition will still come from milk.

jorock80 is offline Registered User
    Tin Shui Wai
    This may horrify some of you but I started my boy on solids at just 3 months. He did not seem satisfied with just breast milk, so we introduced just a little formula. He also did not seem satisfied with this. He showed all the signs of being ready: Being able to hold his head up, looking at you when you ate, moving his mouth, opening his mouth for a spoon. He gulped down his first mouthful and since then we have never looked back. Every child is different and a mother knows her child. I reckon give it a go!