Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Baby Refused to Drink Milk

jaz1311 is offline Registered User

Baby Refused to Drink Milk

Hi ladies

My boy is 11 months and he refused to drink milk. Everyday he drink less than 10oz in total. I am very concern and wonder what can I do to get him to drink more.

He is eating well on solid. I give him a mixture of cereals, fruits and home cooked porridge, with no sugar or salt added. I do add extra formula into his cereals since he refused to drink milk nowadays.

Ladies please advise what can I do.

Thank you

gladyswly is offline Registered User
    maybe you can cut down a little bit on his solid so he is more hungry for his milk?

Sazzy is offline Registered User
    At 12 months - my baby dropped all milk except the bedtime milk and now at 18 months she has dropped all milk. Your main concern is calcium. make sure he is getting milk in his cereals, cheese, white sauce, yoghurt etc etc. He will be just fine :0 I remember my girl dropped off all milk at one stage but then on day 6, demanded it again. Perhaps just stop trying to give it to him and then one day he might ask for it again. Another good source of milk is home made smoothies. Good luck and dont panic - its worse for you

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    my son was exactly like Sazzy's baby.
    only 1 bedtime bottle at 12months and no milk at all at 18months. Interestingly when he was 2 and his baby brother was born he started requesting milk. He now has at least 2 cups of milk a day.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Actually, 10 ounces at 11 months isn't really a horrible amount of milk intake. My baby's US doctor advised that after 12-months and when babies start on cow's milk that he should not take more than 22-24 ounces in any 24-hour period because that much milk actually starts pulling the iron out of the body in order to process the calcium (weird, huh?) so babies who consume too much dairy actually become quite anemic.

Ten ounces is a happy medium and if your baby is getting enough calories and calcium from other foods (in fact, foods like brocolli and dark, leafy green vegetables are even a great source of calcium--it doesn't have to even come from dairy--even soy milk can be calcium rich) you don't have to worry that he's not filling up on milk. From about 12-months on my son only drank about 8-10 ounces of milk a day and now at 22-months some days he doesn't even drink milk but instead drinks water and soy milk.

The only issue is if your baby is not in good health or isn't gaining enough weight but if he's otherwise happy and healthy don't stress about milk consumption.

jaz1311 is offline Registered User
    Thanks for all your reply. I am feeling alot less nervous now. He is taking broccoli almost every other day in his solid food. I also add formula into his cereals. My biggest problem is I just realise that he is allergy to all dairy products including milk & egg. I would have to change his formula to soy based now.

mscheerful is offline Registered User
    my son too never like formula (weaned him off at 9 months) so his intake of milk was very little. i was concerned so ask the Mother and Child Centre nurse. They all told me i did a good job from helping him to drop his milk intake. at 12 months, having a bottle of 5oz a day very good. they told me i should let him have more solid than milk, they said don't be fool by the advertisments. i am glad i spent little $$ on buying milk. well, i do give him a little cheese or butter or yogurt here and day and add more calcium food to his meals. IF he says 'no green veggies' i will say want powder milk? he answer is always 'green veggies'!

Neha is offline Banned