Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Club Med Bintan?

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

Club Med Bintan?

First holiday in a hotel with a toddler

Hi

Anyone been to Club Med Bintan? Thoughts on what it would be like with a toddler (under 2)? Never been to a Club Med before but seems like it might be a family friendly option.

As a general query, where do people sleep their toddlers when you are just in a hotel room?? Assume that the hotels provide a portacot but then is the portacot just in the corner of your room so night-times need to be quiet and dark??!

Thanks
    SB2
    Last edited by starbucks2; 10-05-2009 at 10:35 PM.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    I am not a big fan, we've been once, and I'll never go again. Everything is so mediocre, and in the end it's still a lot of money, even though all drinks, etc. are included. Hotels rate very average and I really hated being put at a table with other people?! Voluntarily yes, but please don't force me to sit with people I don't even know (not sure whether that's the same at all Clubs). We both felt it wasn't for us, it was too "camp like", too "we need to have fun together" ... We did Beaches from the States as well (Jamaica) and that was a lot more free.

Check Tripadvisor ... it seems more positive towards this one than most other Club Meds, so maybe it's worth a try?!

In terms of rooms, we try to get 1-bedroom suites options. We also had our oldest sleep in walk in closets and bathrooms. Now we always have 2 connecting or 1/2-bedroom suites depending on what's available, and financially interesting.

Thanks. I looked on tripadviser first and that is where I came across the very good reviews of the Bintan Club Med. I had planned on booking a different resort but the feedback on tripadviser on the other one was SO SO bad that I was well put off. I also always thought that Club Med resorts were too camp like ("hi-de-hi" for the English folk!) and had stayed clear but thought with a little one, it might be better. It is the sleeping arrangements that concern me the most but that would be the same wherever we went unless we shelled out for a villa. We had thought maybe connecting rooms but adds so much more to the cost. We have put our son in bathrooms before too but as I'm pregnant, I expect I'll need to use it a bit in the night!!

Anyone else with feedback on this Club Med or the Club Med experience generally?

Thanks
    SB2

mel_g20 is offline Registered User
    Hello, I have stayed at Bintan when my children were 3 months old and 2 years old.

This was 3 years ago. We were put in a room that involved going up and down numerous steps, and so found it very difficut to go in and out of our room with the stroller.

The room was pretty basic I seem to remember, the food OK but caters for alot of people eating at one go. It is not like the Shangrila buffet. I dont remember sharing a table with other people though.

The resort facilities were pretty good I think, and my son loved the kids club, which was set up to look after kids from a very young age, and for long periods of time if you wanted it. My son loved the kids club.

I would go again, this time knowing what to expect and because the kids club would give my husband and I a break. However we have ended up going to the Philipines and KK instead because they are nearer while the kids are small. The ferry trip over to Bintan is like taking another short flight once you arrive in Singapore.

I guess whether Bintan suits you or not, depends on what you are looking for.

Have you considered the Shangrila in Cebu Philipines or the RasaRia Shangrila in Kota Kinabulu?

yonge is offline Registered User

Marriott in Phuket

Have you tried staying at the Marriott in Phuket? My husband and I liked it so much that we ended up getting the time share there. The hotel is very well kept, located near the airport and has its own private beach. Each villa has a living room/dining room including DVD, 2 bedrooms, and a kitchen, which is a lifesaver when you just want to prepare a simple meal. The children's pool, clubhouse and playground provide a variety of things to do with the children and they all love being driven to their unit in the golf buggies. You should be able to sign up for a free 4 day/3night at a booth located in various shopping malls in HK, but if you'd like me to send you an invite from my contact, let me know (I get Marriott points for any referral that visits; you don't even need to buy). Have fun!

Thanks all. We did consider other places like Cebu or KK but I am pregnant and wanted to be near to a big hospital in case something went wrong. Our original plan was for Phuket or Ko Samui but flights are now crazy expensive as we accidentally booked the same week as school half term without knowing ...!

sophiek is offline Registered User
    I would say I love Club Med Bintan very much and my family has been there for several times already. The beach is white sandy, yet the GOs in the club were the ones who imprssed us most. They are helpful and friendly. My husband and I had no worry to have romantic time while those GOs would take care of our kids properly.

Well, we went there with kids before so I can answer your question. Club Med charges per person instead of per room. If you're a family of 2 adults and 2 kids, Club Med will offer you connecting rooms. Baby cot, baby equipment like bottle warmer and extra towels will be placed in your rooms anyway since they know you will go with a toddler. These are free.

And I have to mention their restaurants which gave me surprise when I first got there with my son! A wide range of baby food (Heinz!!), baby cutlery and food mixer are provided. I can't find anywhere other than Club Med could provide such a caring service for me and my son.

This is what I call a care-free holiday :)

Thanks SophieK. That is some good feedback on the Bintan one. Will look into pricing a bit closer as we were quoted a price based on one room only but maybe that is because our son is under 2? Also as he is under 2, he can't go into the kids club (which is only 2 years and up) so we won't really be able to get all the benefits out of the Club Med experience but there are other benefits that appeal to us.

SB2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast