Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Taxis and car seats

CAKaren is offline Registered User

Taxis and car seats

I'm visiting Hong Kong from the United States with my 10-month old son. I know there are no laws regarding infant car seat use in Hong Kong and I also know that using car seats in taxis is the safest. If we plan to use a car seat in taxis, how receptive are taxi drivers to the car seats? Do they grumble and are they impatient at the time it takes to install the car seat? I'm just wondering about the social acceptability of car seat use in taxis (though with the understanding that my child's safety is more important than social acceptance). Any thoughts you might have would be greatly appreciated!

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

We use the Orbit car seat and all we have to do is slip the seat belt through the car seat...it doesn't take more than half a minute and I've never had a taxi driver grumble or complain about it. Having said that - we always get in a taxi with our baby from a taxi line where the taxi can wait a minute before starting. If you were to say jump in a taxi from curbside on a road and there were moving cars behind you waiting, I'm not sure how the taxi driver would react.

carang is offline Registered User

if you were to bring a carseat with you, make sure it is one that is easily attached, as mentioned above. taxi drivers will grumble tremendously if you take too long and they have stopped curbside. not only that, but if you are holding up traffic, then you will have horns from vehicles behind you blaring away.

carseats are NOT the norm in hong kong. (it is utterly ridiculous and sooooo dangerous!) even people with private cars here seem to not even think about it. i've seen drivers with children on their laps (in a car park, parking their lovely HUGE Alphard van), children jumping around in the back seat etc. it astonishes me that the people who "devote" themselves to their child's education (they are totally obsessed!) to give their children the "best" of everything and then not to even use a car seat? it boggles my mind.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

Hi

We have a sit n' stroll which is a good car seat for taxi use in HK. It is an excellent car seat but also has a pull up handle which turns it into a stroller. Very handy especially for travelling and for taxis. You may even be able to use it on the flight (if you are buying a seat for your baby). It is an average stroller (plastic wheels and a bit rickety) but is good for HK where the alternative is lugging a car seat around with you between taxis. I believe that they are made in the US and you can't buy them in HK.

In terms of ease of use - it can be heavy once the baby gets bigger. I can no longer lift our 19 month old once he is in it (but am also pregnant so it is more of the strain I am concerned about but also the weight of him and the seat!) but it is quick to put in a taxi. Agree with the posters above, better if the taxi can pull off the road a bit so you are not holding up other traffic but the taxi driver should not otherwise complain if you let them start the meter straight away while you are installing it.

SB2

indi'n'zai'smum is offline Registered User

i am also really interested in this .....does any one know who might stock this sit and stroll - or the orbit. I actually saw a car seat strapped to a milk crate and wheels,and handle attatched when i was over there - so looks like some clever soul has made their own version!

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

indi'n'zai'smum - if you are still in Australia, you may be able to get it before you come to HK as I bought mine in New Zealand. They are rebranded "the Pod" in New Zealand but the manual etc and the stickers on the car seat say "Sit n' Stroll".

This is the link for the NZ distributer. If you do a search you may be able to find an Australian distributer.

The POd

SB2

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

You can get the Orbit at Mothercare. Actually the orbit car seat is part of my stroller. The orbit is a stroller system that comes with a car seat. The car seat clicks onto the stroller....once the baby gets too big for the car seat (designed for new born to around 20 pounds) then the Orbit has a toddler seat sold separately for the stroller. At that point, I would have to buy a new car seat......

carang is offline Registered User

the sit'n'stroll are not on sale in hk. i had to buy mine (back when my kids were small) second-hand. the previous owner had bought them in the US.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast