Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sleep training in a bed

southside852 is offline Registered User
    yes, my advice to all is to keep the little one in the crib for AS LONG AS POSSIBLE! I feel like he's a newborn all over with the sleep I am clocking in at night :(

Portia is offline Registered User
    Southside
    I am embarrassed to say that at the moment I am doing nothing with my son. I tell myself that I am catching up on sleep and gathering reserves to do battle with him, but I am actually just spoiling him as I let him stay once he climbs into our bed as he can creep in without really waking us and will then sleep until morning. It's going to be a huge battle, especially as he is now in the habit of climbing into our bed, but I will have to do it in the next few months before the arrival of the new baby. I wish we could have left him in his crib for longer, but he started climbing out by himself. One of my sleep books says to leave them in the crib until they are three if possible. I only wish we could have safely done so!

yes, as soon as the child learns how to climb out, he/she should be transitioned into a bed for their own safety. since our son learned quite early how to do this, we;ve have to speed up the process. for now, i am bringing him back to his bed at least 2-3 times a night.....it's not ideal, but i am hoping that as his vocabulary expands in the next 6 months, he will eventually understand not to get of bed and stay in his own.....thanks everyone for the feedback. if anyone has a breakthrough, let me know!

AndreaY is offline Registered User
    BTW, my daughter was 2 when I did this and she understands perfectly what locking/unlocking the door is. Even my younger one at 22 months understands what locking and unlocking the door means, cos I have seen her imitating me. I have come to realise that it's just a case of adults not understanding their speech, they have perfect understanding of ours.

yes, agreed that my son gets what it means to lock a door, but i am not sure he'll get that being in bed means unlocked.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    We only had this problem for one night and with a 20 month old. We told him we'd get 'the wire' out and tie his door up. We showed him 'the wire', it was actually just a phone cable. He got the message and was just so scared of being locked in his room with no escape he stayed in bed. Occasionally we had to threaten the wire again and it always worked.

That said it didn't work as well with our second youngest. He didn't care! Anyway, turned out he was just 'too young' to transition even though he was a bit older than his brother was when we tried. We tried when he was 22 months but it was only recently, when he was 2 plus that we were able to put him in a normal bed and know he would stay. It sounds like your child is just not ready but you don't have much of a choice because he climbs out of the cot. Hmm, good luck.

yep, i would have loved to have kept him in his cot until
    24+ months, but it was just not safe. guess i will just keep plugging at it. last night was good though - only 1 wake up out of bed - perhaps a turning pt!

thanks everyone!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12