Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sleep training in a bed

southside852 is offline Registered User

Sleep training in a bed

Our 22 month year old son has been sleeping in a bed w/a rail for over a month now. We found out at 19 months that he could climb out of his crib and open the door so we transitioned on the floor for two weeks then into a bed (not a toddler one either).

Now, he gets up 2-4 times a night NOW and will come into our room ast least twice!!! I basically ferberized him in a crib, but am wondering what others experiences are with sleep training their toddler to stay in their beds and not come out??? Did you put a gate up? Someone told me to just lock the door for 3 nights and he should get the picture, but that seems scary to me. Help!

cyberfish88 is offline Registered User
    Sorry I haven't been through this yet but a friend of mine says that repetition is the key. You just keep putting him back in bed until he eventually gets the idea. She said with her oldest daughter she had to do it 80 times in one night! But with her youngest son who is in the exact same situation as yours right now, she is only up to about 10 times a night. Good luck! I may be going through this in about 6 months.

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    Friends of mine tried shutting the door for just one night and their toddler just ended up falling asleep behind the door rather than going back to bed. As Cyberfish88 mentions you just have to keep putting him back to bed....repitition is the key.

I'm not looking forward to this stage either!

Portia is offline Registered User
    We tried locking our door, but our son was so determined that he hammered on the door and kept rattling the door handle. He was so loud that we had to let him in because he would definitely have been waking both our upstairs and downstairs neighbours.

Repetition is easier said than done. I know we are supposed to do the silent return to bed method as many times as it takes, but it is definitely easier said than done, especially when he can creep into our bed without really waking us!

Agreed Portia! I also think, that our son would be one to fall asleep at the door instead of returning to his bed like Karmah1 mentioned.

Portia, what did you land up doing? As of now, I am just doing repetition with him.

AndreaY is offline Registered User
    It's true, locking the door method takes about 3 days to work. I basically told my daughter all thru the day that she cannot wake up and get out of bed and if she does it then mummy would have to lock the door. Of course the 1st night she did not do as she was told and I went in put her into her bed and told her that I would then lock the door. 5 sec after I walked out, she was rattling the door, crying to be let out. I told her sternly thru the door that she was warned before and this was what happens if she got out of bed. So she was having a crying fit behind the door and I repeated telling her that mummy would not open the door until she got back into bed to sleep. THink after 1/2 hour or so she got the idea and went back to bed, when I heard her leave the door side, I went in and tucked her into bed and told her that she was a good girl for getting back to bed. She was so tired, she went to sleep straight away. Same thing the 2nd night, but took shorter time for her to get back to bed and by the 3rd, she realised that mummy was not going to give in and she stopped getting out.

Andrea that gives me hope! BUT, my son at 22 months doesn't really understand what "not locking the door" means as his communication is still quite basic.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    All interesting to hear this. I am dreading this stage and will be leaving it as LONG as possible!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast