Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to dress baby for cooler weather

bumbeeno is offline Registered User

How to dress baby for cooler weather

Hi there!

This is my very first post and I was wondering if anyone could share their own experience in relation to my question. I'm a new mom - my baby was born in the summer (he is now 3 months old) and all he ever needed to wear when I brought him out was a short-sleeved onesie. I always carry him in the Baby Bjorn when we go out because he won't sit in a stroller (and sometimes he would perspire a lot in the Bjorn especially when the weather is hot!).

Now that it is getting cooler, I am thinking ahead and how I should dress him when I go out during the autumn and winter, given that he will always be in the carrier and my own body heat would be a factor to consider. Would a long-sleeved, footed onesie suffice for autumn? Would he need a second layer in autumn? Winter? Any ideas? Any input would be greatly appreciated - I browsed in the shops the other day and saw a great range of winter clothing that looked suitable for arctic temperatures!

Thanks very much :)

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    I've read once that a baby should wear as many layers of clothes as us, plus one. Now, considering you'll carry him in a baby carrier, I would say that covering his legs will be important, as he won't able to move them, also his neck and head, as a baby loses his heat by the head. I used to take a light cover in my bag to put around the baby carrier in case of wind...

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I read the same as above - dress them the same as us, plus a layer since they can`t move and generate heat. Hats are a must, in my opinion. Since he`s still small, I would dress him in footed stuff, especially if he`s in the carrier. When my baby was around that age, and it was March, I dressed him in a long sleeve onsie(all the time), sleeveless footed jumpers or just footed pants, and a hooded jacket when he went out.

yuukalim0404 is offline Registered User
    My baby was 2-3mths around this time last year, I always dressed her with a inner short sleeve cotton top plus a short or long sleeve onise (mostly long sleeve) and yes hats and socks are a must especially if she was in a carrier. Yes she did perspire, we just make sure we wipe off the sweat right away to prevent catching a cold. Jackets are a must even now as the air con here in HK is usually at absurd extremes, even I need a jacket at all times too in the malls/ resturants!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I never used hats with my daughter in Hong Kong - personally I didn't think it was cold enough here. And personally I think that if she's perspiring, she's too hot. She would sweat easy - I think she's pretty "hot blooded", so I actually just dressed her the same as me. But yes, always made sure legs/feet were covered, and long sleeves and a jacket just in case (it usually stayed in my bag though).

I think, feel their little hands and if they're cold, put more clothes on them. And if they're perspiring, take a layer off.

I also think that children can "learn" a climate - people over here dress SO WARM, wearing jackets and long sleeves in summer, and ski jackets in winter!! When people from other places (particularly colder areas) dress in short sleeves once it hits 20 degrees (that would be year round in HK!!).

I do always have people over here telling me that both me and my baby need more clothes on because we must be too cold - but in actuality, both of us are quite fine ;)

carang is offline Registered User
    i'm with nicole. if your baby is sweating she's too hot. people here really have a tendancy to overdress their children. (i had a child a couple of weeks ago, come to school with 5 layers on!)

i come from canada and know how to dress for the cold. there are only a few weeks in winter in HK that the ski jackets etc may be called for. my hubby is local and he starts wearing long sleeves when it gets "cold" at 24C! i always laugh at him as that is a beautiful temperature and perfect for short sleeves.

i WOULD take a light jacket or something with me and if the baby needed it, then i would put it on. I find restaurants, particularly chinese ones, to be very cold.

hats are really not necessary until february-ish. and by then, your baby will have no problem regulating her/his own body heat.

bumbeeno is offline Registered User
    Thank you all very much for your replies. I have a better idea now of what can be mixed and matched - having relied on just the onesie all this while it is quite overwhelming just thinking about all the other options out there! I am glad I can still use onesies albeit as the innermost layer - they are just so convenient as the 'last frontier' and easily substituted in case of any nappy accidents!

yuukalim, thanks for sharing your experience this time last year. I'm generally fine with the aircons in malls and restaurants - I always feel too hot while my husband tends to feel cold. Not sure who my baby takes after... So I am always in one layer and so is baby - but he has the benefit of a giant hot water bottle!

Frenchy and Shenzhennifer - good pointers about keeping the legs and feet warm. What about hands?? Do you think they'd need mitts if it were very cold?

Nicole and Carang, I also had a sense my baby was too hot when he was perspiring. He is prone to heat rash and has also been recently diagnosed with early eczema. He had a bad case of seborrhea on his scalp and I read that hats might exacerbate it (because of the lack of circulation) but hopefully it will have cleared up should he ever need one. Carang: how does a baby regulate his body heat?

I will probably buy as I go along as there might be stuff on sale nearer Christmas and although bub has only just reached 3 months he is fitting quite nicely into the 3-6 month stuff already! They grow so quickly...

Thanks again everyone :)

carang is offline Registered User
    newborns do not have the ability to regulate their body heat. that's why most hospitals put a little hat on the newborns. most of their body heat escapes through the head. as babies grow their bodies start to be able to do this a little more and a little more efficiently.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast