Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Montessori ?

Little bird is offline Registered User

Montessori ?

THis may be a stupid question to many people ... but could someone please explain what is the difference between the Montessori method and tradition method?

My son is 4 months old now and I am interested to put him in Woodlands in future, but not sure if I should put him into school using the Montessori methods...

many tks

Neha is offline Banned
    Go to IMS school tour to understand the Montessori philosophy and of course u can read online also

southside852 is offline Registered User
    From what I understand Montessori method is very child-centered and allows for freedom of play with children and the teachers teach from there. There is nothing imposed on them by the teacher as they look to see how the child is playing and then will teach appropriately based on that. Like Neha said, I would encourage doing a tour as it's not for everyone, but many have thrived in its environment.

Neha is offline Banned
    Some basic differences are No black Board in class, child sitting on floors with their work. Each individual child is allowed to choose what he or she wants. Like our son is fascinated with blocks and puzzles he does that a lot but at the same time the teacher encourages him to do art work.

Little bird is offline Registered User
    tks a lot Neha and southside852. i will check it out.

Emilyli is offline Registered User
    Are you joining the Woodland Montessori one or Traditional one?

I think the most best part of Montessori is to develop a very good character of the person in their young age.
    My daughter going to a Montessori playgroup, and I found that she improved a lot in her manner and she learn to tidy up thing after used.

hugocheung is offline Registered User
    Montessori method starts with teaching children with mental problem.
    The repetitive actions will make those children more concentrate on their works.
    Then, Miss Maria Motessori replicated this method to normal children and it worked as well.

This method will train up children with high concentration in doing their tasks. The main theme of this method is to "let children do their owns work and they can accomplish by themselves". Also, this method is a "Children-centric", "Teacher as a directress", "Children has an absorbant mind and like to learning everything"

However, one point should be noted that this method is originally designed for children with mental problem. So, it depends on where you buy this method or not.
    Last edited by hugocheung; 10-20-2009 at 01:55 PM.

babated is offline Registered User
    Sorry that I couldn't agree Montessori method is for children with mental problem.

I've read few books by Montessori, and I am also raising my son like that. Actually what Montessori found was the developmental stage of children, the nature of children, and how adults should observe and prepare a suitable environment to help them growth. She believed that following children's steps are much more powerful and the most natural way to raise a child than any man's intervention.

Maybe I can say, she changed my mind about what a child is, and help me understand each stage my son was undergoing. It makes a great difference because adults' action will be different if you interpret a child's action differently. (You can choose to scold or wait to see what will happen if you understand why a child do an action.)

So far, my son is a cheerful and confidence boy, and I am very satisfied with his development. And I know a lot of famous people were also raised by this method in their childhood.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast