Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Applying to Primary Schools in HK

lii
    lii is offline Registered User

Applying to Primary Schools in HK

I have a question regarding applying to primary schools in HK. I've got a few questions and would like clarification for those parents who have been through the process.

1. Local public schools - government funded. To confirm, the acceptance is based on area and then draw? Just a little confused if my child is guaranteed entrance in primary schools in my area.

2. Local public schools - private. All do interviews, regardless of where you live?

So what does the point system apply to? It's totally confusing...

I am looking at my options now for my 3 year old daughter. I know it's early, but would like to know more information.

Thanks!
    Lisa
    http://www.thechinesesouplady.com

hugocheung is offline Registered User
    1. Local public schools - government funded. To confirm, the acceptance is based on area and then draw? Just a little confused if my child is guaranteed entrance in primary schools in my area.

Ans: There is two rounds of applications.
    1. You can select ONE government\aided primary school, regardless of where you live. The admission totally depends on the points you have. e.g. Have bros\sis in the primary school, your child will get 10 points. etc. The higher point you have, the greater chance your child gets a place.
    2. If cannot get a place in round 1, your child will enter into a "lucky draw". You can apply to a central allocation system in which your child will be given a random number. Before entering round 2, you need to select around 30 primary schools, from the most wanted to least wanted. The allocation will based on the random number.

ttp://www.edb.gov.hk/index.aspx?no***D=1497&langno=1

2. Local public schools - private. All do interviews, regardless of where you live?
    Ans.: For the private school, there is no limitation. As long as the school accepts your child, you can get a place.
    However, some schools may take your resident area as one of the considerations as too long the travelling will make the child tired easily.

reei is offline Registered User
    dear lii, thanks for posting this question. and hugocheung, thanks for the reply, i hope it is typo ,30 primary shcools or 3 primary schools?

hugocheung is offline Registered User
    To clarify, you can choose THREE schools (Without school net limitation) and the rest should be within your school net. Of course, you need to priortize your choices.

Quote Originally Posted by reei View Post
    dear lii, thanks for posting this question. and hugocheung, thanks for the reply, i hope it is typo ,30 primary shcools or 3 primary schools?

Tikus is offline Registered User
    Hello hugocheung, reei and lii. Very interesting thread which bears relevance for many of us.

Am I right to understand that if one applies for a DSS primary school, then regardless of how far one resides from the school, the child is "in" so long as the school accepts him?

Also, if one wishes one's child to qualify for admission to schools like DBS Primary Division/ St Paul's, is it true that the chances are better if the child came from an Anglican kindergarten? If so, which are the kindergartens which have had a a consistent record of admission to these schools?

Shall be very grateful for insights. Wishing everyone a great weekend!