Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

cooking for baby or jar food?

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Tsuen Wan
    I usually do half and half. My son has rejected both from time to time. I don`t know which makes me feel worse - the homemade stuff that I go to the trouble of making, or the expensive organic jarred stuff that goes to waste.
    I`ve also got Annabel Karmel`s cookbook. I agree, some of the recipes are a bit fancy and/or time consuming for the average mom with ANYTHING else to do. I do try to cook them sometimes though, and my 9 month old prety much likes them. I often adapt them to my own ingredients or style though.
    Is the stuff you`re cooking too chunky for her? The jars are so easy for them to eat, even the chunky ones. And what is different about your ingredients vs the jars?
    Do you give her finger food too? I have started giving it to my son, with varying degrees of success, like french toast (eggy bread), little sandwiches, steamed veg and chunks of fruit. It not only keeps him occupied but it also lets him eat real food.
    The mixing idea sounds good too. Or just putting your food in the jar and feeding it to her from there:)

yuukalim0404 is offline Registered User
    Tseung Kwan O
    My girl is 13.5mths and had never taken any jar food before. She was on exclusive breastmilk till 6.5mths, then I slowly introduced pureed fruits to her very gradually and even when she was around 11mths, her main food was still breastmilk (5-6X a day). Before she was one, I gave many types of home cooked stuff, like congee, bread, macroroni,lots of different pureed fruits/ soft fruits bits, veg.
    She took varying amounts except congee and bread which she liked.During those few months, I practically threw away most of the food I cooked as she will only eat so little bit or totally reject. But I read its normal that some babies will reject a food 7 times before finally accepting it! Then she gradually hated congee, during the time when she was sick around 11mths, she basically just drank milk.After she recovered,so we switched to soft rice with minced meat , steamed fish, pumpkin, sweet corn, carrots, veg, cheese etc
    Recently she is starting to take regular 3 meals, bread or pancakes,in the morning, and 2 meals of rice. She drinks milk only once in the morning when she wakes up and once at night before sleep. And having said that, I realised after I semi weaned her of the breast, she started having a more regular meal routine, she is finally able to sleep through the night at 13months now! Good luck and don't stress, we have all been there before.

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    My 10 month old has rejected both homemade and jars. Although I rarely give him jar food. I found he was more interested in desert/pudding which is usually yoghurt mixed with fresh fruit. So I started offering one spoon of dinner followed by a spoonful of yoghurt. But if he starts to refuse his dinner and just wants more yoghurt I often dip the end of the spoon with his dinner on it in the yoghurt so when it touches his lips he thinks he is getting what he wants!

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    yep, i did the same thing! ithought it fairly gross! spag bol with strawberry yoghurt! i mean... ewwwww! but it worked a treat!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    North Point
    I never bought jar food for my daughter. When she was young, I just pureed steamed fruit and veggies, then I started giving her small pieces of stuff... and I also do the "put something they love with something they hate" trick too.

These days I give her 100% big person food. I did that since she was about 9-10 months old. On days where our food wasn't really suitable, I just cooked macaroni and put some sauce with it, maybe some cheese, some veggies... something like that. But now, I give her practically everything except for seafood... (she's nearly 1 now)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12