Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Teacher not caring enough.

reei is offline Registered User

it will be nice if the teacher has called, but it is not wrong if he / she doesnt. dont think that warrants a complaint though

aussiegal is offline Registered User

Our boy wasn't in school one day last week and I got a call the same day to make sure he was ok. Sure they didn't need to do it but it was nice to hear from them and if they have a staff member not doing anything would it hurt to make a call? One week sure is a long time for a child not to be in school. Having said that I wouldn't go complaining to the school, unless something is really serious i don't believe in singling children out unnecessarily. My husband's mother used to routinely give the school he went to and his teacher's a serve and the teachers took it out on him.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

If I were the teacher, I might be a bit ticked off that the parent hasn`t called to inform that their child is off sick for a week. I don`t know how schools operate here, but I would think the onus is on the parent to communicate first about this.

joannek is offline Registered User

my daughter goes to Highgate House & they always call to ask if she misses the 2nd day of school. then we contact by email & the teacher always sends her love & hugs.

Jo Bowd is offline Registered User

Both of the kindergartens my son has attended and schools that I have worked at (in the role as School Nurse). It's the parent's responsibility to inform the school. However, if there were a case of a child being sent home from school due to an accident, injury, or suspected infectious disease the school (not always class teacher) would usually follow it up. I think teachers are usually too busy to provide that little extra TLC outside of the classroom, unless there is a very low student:teacher ratio.

Buckeroo is offline Registered User

I took my son out from school one day last week (not sick --we played hooky together!) and his classroom teacher called in the afternoon to see if he was okay. She explained that the school is also being extra vigilant especially with the swine flu thing going on and would like to know if any child missing class even just a day is okay.

He's been going to this school since baby class and any time he'd miss a day, the teachers always called. My daughter's school, on the other hand, did not call when she missed two days from her school last week on account of a runny nose, but when she went back, she came home with a form from school asking me for a reason for her absence. Either way, it was nice that the schools noticed if a child was not in school and took the time to find out if everything was okay.

lesliefu is offline Registered User

normally the parent lets the school know if the kid is sick, and if a kid doesn't show up, some schools just assume that the parents are being extra vigilante and not sending their kid to school. of course it'd be nice to follow up with a phone call, etc. but when it's done it really is bonus and not something one should expect (at least I don't think so)...

Hunter is offline Registered User

When he was in another school for pre-nursery, his teacher would call to see how he was doing when he got sick and I felt it was really heart warming and I thought that was a norm.

I called the school every day to inform them that my son wouldn't be going to school. I did expect his teacher to call, at least once, but I started to get disappointed that his teacher didn't call even on the 5th day.

yes I can understand that teachers can be really busy. but as a kindergarten teacher, TLC is an important prerequisite. Parents can feel the teacher's TLC by just a simple phone call, so why not???

Sorry I cannot disclose the name of the kindergarten as I don't want to have the slightest chance to jeopardize my son's school life (isn't it sad??)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast