Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Teacher not caring enough.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User

As a parent, I find it my responsibility to inform the school as soon as possible, when my child is sick. I cannot imagine keeping my child at home, and not "being bothered" to call the school (not saying that happened here, but that's something I would never do). The school needs to know because it may be something that is a risk for others as well (e.g. swine flu, lice, etc.) and it's just a matter of respect to the school and the teacher who are counting on your child.

My oldest was sick last week. Emailed the teacher (that's the form of communication they prefer, she's in P1 ESF) and informed her what was wrong and how long I expected her to be off school (one day). It's my responsibility to keep her (or the school) up to date.

In case you inform the school head (not the teacher), it would be nice if the teacher after a week of illness would inform how your child is doing.

spockey is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo Bowd View Post
    I think teachers are usually too busy to provide that little extra TLC outside of the classroom, unless there is a very low student:teacher ratio.
    It is the parent's responsibility to inform the school.
    But a little TLC says a lot about the school.

My class ratio is 1:44. I have 2! Every class teacher will take the time to call. If you are sick, the teacher calls to find out if you are ok and if you are keeping up with your school work or if there is someone looking after you. If you're in a hospital, the teacher will organise a visit with your good friends to cheer you up. This is the norm. Sometimes it makes you wonder if the local system is all that bad. If we spoke Cantonese, I know where I'd be dropping my son off.

International school teachers are 'REALLY' busy with their smaller class sizes and shorter working hours. My son attends an international school and I don't expect his teacher to ring or drop an email and WOULDN'T COMPLAIN as that is just how it is but if she does, it's a plus and I recognise it as a bonus and he got lucky with his class teacher. And I would make sure the Principal knows that he/she has gem in his/her midst.

HappyV is offline Registered User

Where do you get the impression that international school teachers work 'shorter' hours? At the moment, I am at school 50 hours a week, including 8+ hours of 'after school' activities. When I worked at a local school, there certainly weren't any staff I knew who were there for 10 hours a day. As for smaller class sizes - that's true: but the other side of the smaller class is that each and every parent expects their kids to have lots of personal attention, and emails and calls to parents answered 24/7. The number of students is smaller, but the expectations per student are much higher.

Anyway - back to the complaint. Yes, it would be nice, but I wouldn't expect it.

Quote Originally Posted by spockey View Post
    It is the parent's responsibility to inform the school.
    But a little TLC says a lot about the school.

My class ratio is 1:44. I have 2! Every class teacher will take the time to call. If you are sick, the teacher calls to find out if you are ok and if you are keeping up with your school work or if there is someone looking after you. If you're in a hospital, the teacher will organise a visit with your good friends to cheer you up. This is the norm. Sometimes it makes you wonder if the local system is all that bad. If we spoke Cantonese, I know where I'd be dropping my son off.

International school teachers are 'REALLY' busy with their smaller class sizes and shorter working hours. My son attends an international school and I don't expect his teacher to ring or drop an email and WOULDN'T COMPLAIN as that is just how it is but if she does, it's a plus and I recognise it as a bonus and he got lucky with his class teacher. And I would make sure the Principal knows that he/she has gem in his/her midst.

southside852 is offline Registered User

I am a primary school teacher and to be honest I've never called home to a student's house. If a call needed to be done, the principal usually did it. I don't think the teacher is not caring, but most likely has a lot of his/her plate and has to plan for 20 other students who are healthy and at school. I am sure she/he is thinking about your child!

To be honest, I would expect updates from the mother via email/phone to me about the health of the child.

I also agree with HappyV, international school teachers work extremely hard and very long hours. I was at work at 7am and would leave at 6pm almost every day......

spockey is offline Registered User

HappyV & Southside

Just to answer your question - The two schools I've worked for here... the staff pull at least 10-12 hour days and that is the reality for many local teachers. My current colleagues are working are working 10-12 per day while I'm there from 7:15 to 5:30 on most days and between 6-8 sometimes and on Saturdays. I'm teaching poor kids sitting for a major exam though so I'm constantly conscious of their requiring my help as they can't afford to turn to anyone else. I'm at school most Saturdays too from 8:30 to 1ish. My colleagues are there til 5 p.m. and on some turn up even on Sundays! Marking on top!

I'd say 10 hour days are the norm in HK unless your principal is a rare angel. I'm comparing it to the working hours of IS teachers i know.

Teaching takes dedication and I'm going to say that if my son had such a dedicated like yourself when he's older, parents like me would be very grateful and heave a sigh of relief knowing that their kids are in great hands. BTW... apologies if I've offended you.

But my point is, it's nice if a teacher despite all the madness around did take a second to send off an email or make a quick call. Just pure gold. I'm going to use my son's current teacher as an example... she's just that! Each time I had a question, I was impressed by her willingness to take the time to answer my queries thoroughly and she's got two classes of 24 kindie kids to look after!

Not required but real nice!

Last edited by spockey; 10-17-2009 at 08:18 PM.

manya_feb is offline Registered User

Hi, in my case whenever my daughter didn't go to school (k1-k2) the teacher has always called the same day or next day. Sometimes if i am too busy and taking care of my daughter while she is sick and cant inform school...its always her who called. My daughter always get a warmth and cozy feelings that someone out is there to who is thinking about her. Also, sometimes i feel bad that why i didn't inform her (since she has taken her precious time out) but also feel good too.

Its very important for a kid...although if the class is too big than i guess its difficult for the teacher. I hope you can understand.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User

I honestly don't understand why somebody wouldn't take 1 minute to call a school to inform the child is sick. I don't think that's very respectful to the teacher or the school (I am just saying this in general). No wonder some schools start calling. It's like not showing up at a restaurant, a party or whatever ... they'll call you to ask what's going on?!

southside852 is offline Registered User

Just remember as well, you don't know what is going on with the teacher. In addition to the workload for the class/school, she has her own personal well-being to take care of. Her own family life to manage....I am not defending her actions and am actually surprised at what a big deal this post has become, but even to be a teacher you are spread very thin. You love each child equally, care for their well-being at school then there's taking care of yourself and your own family. Some teachers act as their surrogate mothers as the child sees the teacher more than their own parents during the week. Sure, the teacher could have dropped you a note/call to see how your child was, but just call her and tell her yourself.

Every parent thinks their child is the best and rightfully so, but give the teacher a break. I don't think she has intentionally done this to hurt you or to make your child feel unloved....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast