Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Teacher not caring enough.

HK2008 is offline Registered User
    So I see, the discussion so far just proved my thought:
    1. definitely parents responsibility to keep the school informed(similar to you asking for sick leave to your company ey?);
    2. would be nice but do not expect the school especially the teachers to call, because not only they have a busy agenda at school but also their own family to look after(which I absolutely understand);
    3. shower your own kids with plenty of TLC, then you probably wouldn't even notice(let alone expect) whether other people are caring for him/her or not...

I'd really like to go easy on the teachers and say this: please give them a break...
    Last edited by HK2008; 10-18-2009 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Just realised that southside also asked to give the teachers a break...

carang is offline Registered User
    at my playgroup, i see over 75 individual children per week. many of them come two or three times each week.

i can tell you that the hours i spend preparing/working are around 50-60/week.

i prefer that parents call to inform me if their children are not coming. i prepare crafts etc enough for all of the children. if your child does not come, then i have things with your child's name on, that they haven't done and that i can't use for someone else. it is a terrible waste of resources and energy (in preparation).

if we do not hear from parents, we DO call to make sure everything is ok. i MUCH prefer for parents to inform us. i think it only polite. we can sometimes spend an hour calling parents to enquire where their children are (if there is more than one absent). we have other ways of spending our time: preparing more new and interesting activities & crafts, searching out new books/stories to read, finding & learning more songs that we can teach your kids.... instead we are on the phone checking up on absentee children. this doesn't mean that we don't care about your child. it merely means that we have 30+ OTHER children to think about as well.

really, up to you how the teachers spend their time.

Elise is offline Registered User
    What concerns me a little about this post is the suggestion that communication with a Principal would have a negative effect on the school life of their child. If the OP has this attitude to the professionalism of the teaching profession then a barrier to effective communication has already been established. Email is the main form of home/school communication, parents send me emails re absences, I respond with message of care and 'we will miss _ _ _ ', then I, and other teachers, tend to respect the healing process happening at home. The last thing a sick child wants is the stress of getting homework done, all can be addressed when they return to school. With 'flu alerts still current, the school's office staff, who collate total absences, will probably ring home while teachers carry on with the job of teaching, while responding to parents individually by email.

Little Monster is offline Registered User
    This thread makes me appreciate my son's pre nursery teacher much more. She would call whenever my son was sick, more than once if he had been absent from school for a few days.

Everyday, she would send us an email telling us what happened in class, what they ate and what they learned, and would remind us what to hand in the next day or even the next few days.

Now that my son is in another school for k1, and we have arranged a gathering for the pre nursery classmates (all now in other schools) and we have invited the teacher to join as well, and she has committed to come for an afternoon (not just a hour or so). gosh, what a nice teacher! I mean, this is the kind of passion a teacher should have. Obviously she has to have tons of love for the kids that she doesn't mind to spend her personal time to gather with the old kids.

I guess we are pretty "spoiled" by his pre nursery teacher. I thought all prenursery and kindergarten teachers would be like that. After reading all the posts here, I've realized that I should not expect that kind of TLC from his new teacher and get ready for the real world.

carang is offline Registered User
    i've been invited to birthday parties etc. and i've gone (granted this was before i had kids of my own)...again, the fact that a teacher has other students to think about and plan for does NOT mean he/she does not care for your child! it means they have 30+ other kids to think about, too.

as for calling the school and speaking to the principal... that should NEVER be a concern for you. principals are there to handle problems, concerns and difficulties....affecting your child's "further" education (we are talking kindergarten children here, right?) if it does/did, that would be insane, and i wouldn't want my children attending that school whether or not is was "prestigious" or "highly sought after".... my kids would be outta there!

newmumhk is offline Registered User
    My boy has been sick for a week by now, and his teacher has not given us a single call.............sorry but why is your child at school if you know he is sick!!!

Hunter is offline Registered User
    My child has been sick and absent from school for a week. My disappointment is that his teacher has not given us a call to see how he has been doing.

besides, just to make things clear, I had called the school five times (i.e. once per day) to keep the school updated about my son's condition.

Quote Originally Posted by newmumhk View Post
    My boy has been sick for a week by now, and his teacher has not given us a single call.............sorry but why is your child at school if you know he is sick!!!

Neha is offline Banned
    Our school we have to inform the school if the Child is not coming and then we get and email from the school regularly asking about the child. I prefer emailing than calling

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast