Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

6.5 months old baby dislikes solids?

solidstars is offline Registered User

6.5 months old baby dislikes solids?

are there any cases where babies completely don't eat solids completely? i'm starting to worry about this as it seems he's BFing more and keeps sputtering or drooling his puree/congee/rice cereal/etc out.

sometimes he even does this 'i don't like this taste' shudder thing. We've been trying to feed him about a month now...

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

carang is offline Registered User
    i think it's perfectly normal... i mean, consider that all the baby has had has been milk/formula and then all of a sudden, we spring something like pureed peas onto them... ewww!!!!

6.5 months is still very young. also, at this age, they shouldn't really be having a "meal" of solids, rather about a spoon or a spoon and a half is all. shuddering... both my kids did it. didn't mean they didn't like it, just that they weren't expecting it.... extra breastfeeding? most babies have a growth spurt around 6 months, so that, too, is perfectly normal!

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    Six months is the average age that babies start solids not the latest age. My four babies all started at different ages ranging from five months to eight months - all grew up into normal eating children!

With the one that started at eight months I started trying at six months but he just wasn't interested. If I tried to put food in his mouth he would turn his head away.

When he did finially show interest I sat him on my knee facing outwards and brought the spoon to both of us. I found sharing his meal and it all being in the same direction made him happier to eat - like we were doing exactly the same thing!

A lovely new book that explains about starting solids and takes the pressure off you is Baby Led Weaning by Gill Rapley, Baby-led Weaning: Helping Your Baby To Love Good Food | 0091923808 | General AAS | Babies And Toddlers | Parenting | Parenting And Families | Bookstore | Hong Kong Online Shopping

Best wishes,
    Barb

hahah i did spring pureed peas on him... that was one of the first purees actually hahahha

how long do they go from one spoon to more?

and barb, from 6-8 months what was your baby eating if not solids? just milk? i tried to take a bite, showing him that i was eating it, then giving him a bite, but he still does the whole shudder thing.

thanks carang, i feel better about the shuddering now... and also the extra BFing, i thought he was compensating BM for the solids he wouldn't eat!

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    He just drank milk. Remember that for the first 12 months milk is still the main source of nutrition. Even if they are taking solids it is usually only one or to spoonfuls.

The book is great because it is explaining about let the baby feed himself rather than the mother spoon feeding the baby.

There is more about the idea of letting the baby be in the driving seat about solids at Rapley Weaning - Fuss-free solids - Home

This makes huge sense to me. When we breastfeed we let the baby decide when he is full - why not with solids too.

thanks barb, i feel much better now!

i didn't make huge portions as i knew i'd be throwing out loads if i did, they were already really small portions but he just didn't seem interested.

i'm going to take a quick look at your website whilst baby is napping!

hi

sorry i forgot to ask (until it happened again last night)

is it normal for babies to wake up crying after they started (somewhat) solids? Mine has been doing this on and off, he didn't used to?

I don't know if it's gas or constipation or something, but he seems really unhappy/uncomfortable and crying in his sleep... sometimes if i prop him up vertically he'll stop, but the moment i lie him back down horizontally he'll start his painful crying again! This goes on a few times in the night...

Help! Last night was especially painful to watch... Yesterday I think he finally swallowed some carrot puree too... not sure if they're related...

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    Is it teething?

How often is he pooping? Is his poop hard or soft? If he poops regularly and it is not too hard, then it's probably not constipation. Does his tummy feel soft or hard, if soft, probably not gas either. Gas makes the stomach feel hard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast