Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Poll: In my opinion, Freebirthing is...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Outlaw Births

yonge is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Up until fairly recently, childbirth was the most dangerous thing a woman could do. Given the fantastic public maternal and child health resources Hong Kong has to offer, freebirth just seems unnecessary to mother and child.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    In the past 100+ years, maternal death rates (dying while in childbirth) have decreased dramatically--thanks to things like the understanding of germs and sanitation (washing your hands, sterilizing equipment etc.) as well as breakthroughs in modern science (blood typing, blood transfusions, respirators etc.) and a basic rise in the quality of life and nutrition of people as well as access to medical care. However, the maternal death rate has gone up in countries with a high c-section rate recently Obesity is also a factor in maternal death rate. I think the act of giving birth to a child can be viewed in different ways and much of how things go depends on perception as well. So, I think the act of giving birth to a child is fairly "safe", but giving birth to a child when you yourself are malnourished, have no access to clean water or medical services and in unsanitary conditions definitely made childbirth risky in the past--and in many countries today still.

Pregnancy & Childbirth | Maternal Mortality Rate in U.S. Highest in Decades, Experts Say -

Isn't unassisted birth dangerous? ~ Empowered Childbirth

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12