Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Poll: What do you think of the natural birth options in Hong Kong?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

Orgasmic Birth

prone_to_wander is offline Registered User

I've booked Hulda at Annerly midwives but need to go public. I'm very disappointed that I can't give birth at home but I'm arming myself with hypnobirthing, education and the will to stand up for what I want. I am willing to be labeled an obstinate and difficult patient if it means I can feel more comfortable with the birth.

One thing I think OBs forget is that yes, we want a healthy baby, but we don't want to be traumatized and guilted into unnecessary interventions so he/she can make it home for dinner. So no, I will not sign the episiotomy form. Nor will I lie down on my back so you are more comfortable. Thank you.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by prone_to_wander View Post
    I've booked Hulda at Annerly midwives but need to go public. I'm very disappointed that I can't give birth at home but I'm arming myself with hypnobirthing, education and the will to stand up for what I want. I am willing to be labeled an obstinate and difficult patient if it means I can feel more comfortable with the birth.

One thing I think OBs forget is that yes, we want a healthy baby, but we don't want to be traumatized and guilted into unnecessary interventions so he/she can make it home for dinner. So no, I will not sign the episiotomy form. Nor will I lie down on my back so you are more comfortable. Thank you.
    Good on you! The really bad part is that a huge part of being able to actually go through with a drug-free birth without complications is the ability to be able to relax. It is so counterproductive to the whole labor process to have to get your blood pressure up demanding that your birth plan be followed. A woman in labor shouldn't have to spend so much energy asserting her rights over her own body and birthing experience--she should be able to focus on the matter at hand--giving birth and fully devote her attention to that. I am convinced that when a woman is giving birth attending to her needs (as dictated by her, not some know-it-all doctor who is likely male anyway) should be the only focus of the individuals allowed to participate in that process.

So, definitely happy for you that you know what you want and will stick to your guns. I hope that you also have someone with you (husband etc.) who will also make sure your wishes are followed as closely as possible. And I'm sure you've also made room for the possible true emergencies that might arise. You'll have an great birth!

Quote Originally Posted by thanka2 View Post
    Good on you! The really bad part is that a huge part of being able to actually go through with a drug-free birth without complications is the ability to be able to relax. It is so counterproductive to the whole labor process to have to get your blood pressure up demanding that your birth plan be followed. A woman in labor shouldn't have to spend so much energy asserting her rights over her own body and birthing experience--she should be able to focus on the matter at hand--giving birth and fully devote her attention to that. I am convinced that when a woman is giving birth attending to her needs (as dictated by her, not some know-it-all doctor who is likely male anyway) should be the only focus of the individuals allowed to participate in that process.

So, definitely happy for you that you know what you want and will stick to your guns. I hope that you also have someone with you (husband etc.) who will also make sure your wishes are followed as closely as possible. And I'm sure you've also made room for the possible true emergencies that might arise. You'll have an great birth!
    Thanka, I'm so so happy to know that there are people like you in Hong Kong. I feel a little less lonely.

My husband will be with me. He is a pretty quiet guy, except when he feels like he needs to stand up for me. He knows how important it is for me to feel empowered in this birth.

And I know that things happen. Sometimes emergencies are emergencies. But allowing woman to feel empowered and in control of their bodies is the ONLY way to do it IMO. So I'm flexible, but you'd better give me a good reason why something needs to be done, before I agree to it.

monte is offline Registered User

Prone to wonder, I'll be very curious to hear about your experience in the public hospitals. We had a great, drug-free birth at home with our son, and are considering if we want to have a second child here or wait until we are at home again. We also would need to go public, but we've considered getting a doula from Annerley as well. I keep hearing very mixed reports about if doulas are allowed in public hospitals and what kind of support for a natural birth there is. So, I'll look forward to hearing your birth story!

aussie mum is offline Registered User

Hi Monte - a friend of mine has had two drug free births at public hospitals in HK. The first at QMH and the second at POW. She didn't use a doula but did a hypnobirthing course, laboured for as long as possible at home and had a very supportive husband who helped ensure she had the birthing experiences she hoped for.
    I'm pretty sure it wasn't as wonderful as a home birth but she speaks very favourably about her experience in the public system.
    If you would like her contact details PM me. I'm sure she'd be happy to answer any questions.

Hi Monte. So Annerly can't actually be with you when you go into the delivery room. They can help you stay home as possible, help you transfer to the hospital and then check up on you after the birth. But in the delivery room it is just you and if you have one, your partner.

But I'll keep ya'll updated with how everything goes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123