Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

tokyo

reei is offline Registered User

tokyo

hi,

is tokyo a stroller friendly place or is it really busy like mongkok where i am better of using an ergo than a stroller?
    what would be a nice place to visit , bringing a 14 month old?

thanks.

louisouis is offline Registered User
    I was there during easter, I did not find child friendly, lots of stairs at the train stations...It can get really busy in areas like Shibuya and it gets even more crowded then mongkok. But your baby might find it fun to see a place which is so colourful and busy! Phuket might be a nice place with a child.

canadianinhk is offline Registered User
    We just came back from Tokyo and we used the stroller and the baby carrier. The train stations all had elevators and/or escalators but they didn't always go to the exit you wanted. We did end up carrying the stroller up and down some stairs but think if we had more time we could have found alternate routes. My son loved being in his stroller and looking at everyone and everything.

The stroller was a problem in some restaurants. Some of the really fun restaurants are also very tiny. We ended up taking him in the carrier and holding him while we ate so we could go into more restaurants.

We just took him everywhere we wanted to go but our son is only 7 months old so is probably a bit of a different story.

THANKS for the info.
    my stroller is a one way stroller, no reversible handle, i am worried that in crowded places, ppl might just bang into her feet.. her feet is always dangling out the stroller,
    if end up carrying stroller all the time. would it be better, if i dont bring stroller to tokyo and just use the carrier?

tomogotchi is offline Registered User
    Tokyo is very crowded, like Hong Kong. Most places where tourists end up being are as busy as CWB, so a stroller can be challenging. I know a lot of my Japanese mum friends use slings in town. Having said that, you probablystill want to bring your stroller in case you go to places which are stroller friendly. E.g. Roppongi Hills is a good place for you to go as they have lots of space (outside), nice restaurant and cafes, cinema, and boutique shops. OK, these are nice things for you, and not really for your baby, but like Hong Kong, Tokyo is where adults can enjoy, but not necessarily kids...

thanks tomogotchi, i think i'll be using the ergo in tokyo but will still bring along the stroller.. in cas we plan to go somewhere a little remote.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    In Tokyo department stores or shopping centres will there be baby changing/feeding rooms for breastfeeding? Thanks.

wenyihsu is offline Registered User
    Depending on where you are but in general department stores and shopping malls are VERY baby friendly. They normally have a room set up for changing / feeding where they also have some toys for the kids to play with. Also in certain department stores you can even purchase baby food - they have a small restaurant/cafeteria that is set up specifically for babies. If you need to go to the bathroom, a lot of the bathrooms also have a high chair like thing in the stall where you can sit your child while you do your thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast