Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Amount of solids vs. milk

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

Amount of solids vs. milk

My son will be 7 months old this week and he has been eating solids for a little more than a month now. Right now he has four full meals of milk (either BF or 180ml of formula or EBM) and then two meals of solids (congee with veggies at lunch and rice cereal in the afternoon). After both meals of solids, I offer him some breast milk (either in a bottle when I'm at work or I breast feed when I'm at home). I think I will start giving him some fruit puree this week also.

My question is as I increase his solid intake at each meal, when can I stop giving him milk with his solids meal? Is it too early to do that now? I keep reading that milk should be his main source of nutrition until he's one - so how much milk should I be giving him each day (i.e. how many times should I be breasfeeding him or how much should I be giving him if I bottle feed?)? I guess a lot of it depends on how much my baby can eat or will eat, but I was just looking to see what other people's experiences are.

Thanks!

LeahH is offline Registered User
    My son is the same age and so far I have reduced the amount of his lunchtime milk slightly (from 180 to 120) and serve this 1 hour before lunch.

He's tried chicken and fish a few times and once he is fully established on protein at lunch I'll get rid of his lunch time milk. That will leave three milks, a BF morning and night and a formula in the mid afternoon. he also has a little breakfast (banana, porridge, rice cereal and fruit puree) which will increase in volume as we go along. Once I feel he's able to move to a snack mid afternoon I will delete the afternoon milk and leave just morning and night, but this won't be til much later.

Also, the afternoon milk will go when I've introduced a milky dessert into lunch or dinner (yoghurt or fruit puree with milk)

Hi LeahH - Thanks so much for sharing your experience. How much does your little one have for lunch now? I'm never really sure how much to give.....When do you think you will give a dinner meal? Thanks again!

LeahH - Also - what kind of fish do you give? Thanks again!

Hi, he has dinner now - I wanted to get to 3 meals as quickly as possible. I try to make it protein for lunch and a root vegetable / carb based dinner which supposedly helps for a good night's sleep!

For fish he's had lightly steamed sole fillet or sea bass flaked into pureed vegetables (e.g. parsnip or potato) or rice cereal. With chicken I've steamed it and frozen into ice cubes. I put that with avocado, veges or fruit for lunch. He also really likes banana as a base mixed with avocado, or fruits like papaya.

Amounts are difficult to judge, he finds it easier to eat more of the sweeter fruit based purees than the heavier meat/fish/root vege dishes. He'd have a half a banana mixed with another fruit, or two meat/fish ice cubes (the size of normal ice cubes) mixed with veges. If you know the red anabel karmel plastic dishes with lids, about half one of those in total.

Sometimes he'll finish it easily, other times he won't and I don't push him or offer more unless he acts truly hungry.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    At first I started coordinating my son`s milk feeds with meals, but it all got a bit too much as he didn`t have a regular napping schedule at that time. So I just started feeding him his meals at set times, and fed him milk whenever, but made sure it was at least a half hour before the meal, usually 45 to 60 min.
    He`s 9 months now, more regulated, and until recently totally breastfed. Now he drinks 120-200mls first thing in the morning, breakfast an hour later, lunch, then 200mls at 5pm, dinner an hour later, and then a breastfeed before bed (this week I started topping him up with more milk - 150mls - since my supply is disappearing:().
    I`m still clueless to how much milk they should drink in addition to solids, but I admit, with a bottle it`s much easier to tell how much they`re getting.

happyvalleymom is offline Registered User
    My son's been eating solid since 5month and will be 7 months old next week. He has 3 times formula (each time 8 oz), early morning, mid day and before sleep. Currently he's having breakfast (10am) and dinner (5pm) with snack in the afternoon.. Now I am planning to include lunch on his diet soon.

He likes to eat solid food but somehow he's been only eating 6-7 TBSP per each meal and the portion doesn't increase at all.
    And now I wonder whether I should cut down bottle feed a bit so that he can eat more solid food. :S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast