Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Pain in the fingers/joints post delivery

Obiwan is offline Registered User

Pain in the fingers/joints post delivery

Has any of you ladies experienced this?

At first I thought it's due to the bottle feeding ... my OBGYN says it's because the fingers could be swollen from water retention (they are not swollen though), the GP says it's due to the hormones, the Ped (yes I even asked my daughter's Ped :)) says it could be carpal tunnel(!!).

Started feeling some pain in the fingers these 2 weeks, and often the tips suffer from pins and needles and turn numb. Not sure if it's the posture of feeding that causes this or something more serious. It's painful even when I hold a pen or my toothbrush.

The Chinese believe that it's 'wind' in the fingers/joints as I did not follow the traditional confinement rules ....

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

I would suggest going to see a GP and asking for a referral to see a physiotherapist.

I have been having pins and needles in my fingers and the GP thought it might be carpal tunnel syndrome and sent me off to see the physiotherapist.

The physiotherapist asked lots of questions and did some exercises and discovered that it wasn't the wrist that was my problem but rather the neck. I have an irritable nerve running from my neck, down my arm and to the finger whish is causing the problem.

It s difficult to say on a forum like this to say exactly what your problem is but generally pins and needles indicates a nerve problem somewhere.

I've been seeing the physiotherapist for four weeks now and the situation is loads better.

Last edited by barbwong_130; 10-19-2009 at 08:01 PM.

Sazzy is offline Registered User

I have a similar problem which originates from the neck - watch your posture when you are feeding / carrying etc etc
    Good luck

Portia is offline Registered User

I had something similar. It was similar to carpal tunnel but was caused by hormones and also posture - nerve getting trapped due to rounded shoulders and the weight of carrying baby around. It eventually went away on its own, but physio was helpful too. Also, I started nursing my LO whilst lying down and I think that helped a lot as it gave my shoulder/neck a rest.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

A lot of people have that and personally I think it's just from the added strain of carrying a baby around, caring for the baby, feeding, etc... I mean, there's no practice for that, just one day you're holding a baby for x hrs a day, feeding them, changing them, etc... it all puts stress on the wrists. I think that the best solution is just to watch your posture, and the position of your wrists etc... Some people even wear wrist braces, I've heard. But like you have already found, a lot of people tell you different "reasons" for it - just find what "fits" for you... *shrugs*

Obiwan is offline Registered User

Thank you very much ladies!! I'll go to the GP tomorrow and ask for a referral, afterall, I have finished his course of medicine and the situation hasn't gotten any better :( Thanks again!