Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Moving from UK to HK with 2 young kids

mama2 is offline Registered User

Moving from UK to HK with 2 young kids

Hi, my husband and I are planning to move to HK from UK in the new year. Our son will be 4yrs and our daughter 2 yrs. Can anyone advise us whether both the children can attend a kindergarten or whether they only start from 3yrs? Should we be trying to apply for places now or can we wait til we are out there? We are considering Discovery Bay as well as central. All a bit daunting! Any advice on childcare, schooling etc. would be gratefully received! Thanks.

carang is offline Registered User
    whether your children go to school will depend on when their birthdays are.

i LOVED living in DB. would move back in a heartbeat, if i could afford it!

childcare only really exists here in the guise of foreign domestic helpers. you can do a quick search on here for dozens of threads regarding domestic helpers.

mama2 is offline Registered User
    Thanks for your help. I'm not totally sure we can afford DB yet! Where else would you recommend living with young kids? Kids birthdays are Jan 06 and Nov 07 - do you know what the position would be for them re schooling? I will have a look at the DH info, thanks.

carang is offline Registered User
    the january baby will miss the cut off date of dec 31....

my two kids are feb '05 & '07. your younger one would go to kindergarten next september. the elder one would be in primary school in a local school~ 2012, or in ESF ~ 2011.

you may also want to look at sai kung. we used to live in db, and while we absolutely LOVED it, it just got to be too expensive for us, so we moved to SK. we enjoy it here, too. we have a MUCH bigger place than in DB and we pay a lot less for it. even the supermarket is cheaper!

hhardy is offline Registered User
    We are in the same situation. We have a 2 yr old along with a one due in Dec. Moving over from London in Jan. My wife is not planning on working and we are hoping that DB might me the best place for an easier transisiton from London life :)