Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

At what age can we bring baby on flight?

Obiwan is offline Registered User

At what age can we bring baby on flight?

We are thinking of taking the baby with us to attend a function in Singapore end November. Any idea if she (then will be 3 month old) can fly at this age?

Also have plan to be in Vancouver/Paris for Xmas (then 4 month old) ... ok?

Some friends say infants shouldn't fly before 6 months?

carang is offline Registered User

i've had friends take their 10 day old baby on a flight... not a problem.

i've never heard of any problems taking very young babies, they are actually quite easy to travel with!

woodstock07 is offline Registered User

I took my baby to Singapore when he's 8 week old. The only mistake we made was to take a return flight in the evening time (6.30pm) when he's usually very fussy but he cried the normal length of time and slept throughout after that.

Obiwan is offline Registered User

Awesome!! Thank you very much.

Do we need to buy a separate ticket/seat for the baby, and do we bring the car seat along with us?

geomum is offline Registered User

I would wait for at least 3 months before I take my baby on a flight. As far as I know babies dont have highly developed immune system, the only immunity they have is from the mother through the placenta which lasts for about 1 year. Breastfed babies get added immunity through breastmilk. So with the flu season in full swing I would not take a chance, dont want a fellow passenger coughing over my little one. Honestly depends on how much of a risk taker you are, its definitely easier than travelling with a toddler.
    There is really no need for you to buy a separate seat for your baby till the time she/ he can fit in the bassinet the airlines provide. You could book a bassinet seat and put the baby in the bassinet in front of you, let the airline know that you have a baby travelling with you. You will need to buy an infant ticket the cost of which is lower than an adult ticket. However Infant ticket does not give you an extra seat.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by geomum View Post
    I would wait for at least 3 months before I take my baby on a flight. As far as I know babies dont have highly developed immune system, the only immunity they have is from the mother through the placenta which lasts for about 1 year. Breastfed babies get added immunity through breastmilk. So with the flu season in full swing I would not take a chance, dont want a fellow passenger coughing over my little one. Honestly depends on how much of a risk taker you are, its definitely easier than travelling with a toddler.
    There is really no need for you to buy a separate seat for your baby till the time she/ he can fit in the bassinet the airlines provide. You could book a bassinet seat and put the baby in the bassinet in front of you, let the airline know that you have a baby travelling with you. You will need to buy an infant ticket the cost of which is lower than an adult ticket. However Infant ticket does not give you an extra seat.
    The 3-month thing is what the doctor in the US recommended.
    We buy a separate seat if the flight is pushing 5 hours or more. Depends on how long you want to hold the baby, keep in mind you might want to eat/sleep/organize/go to the bathroom on the flight. One thing on the bassinet, some airlines are better than others. For instance, Korean declares turbulence every ten minutes or so and makes you pull the baby out of the bassinet, sleeping or not.