Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

baby manners and rules?

solidstars is offline Registered User

baby manners and rules?

have been thinking about this... as a new mom i don't really know the rules so i thought to ask here...

been meeting other moms/babies from geobaby too, and thinking about taking baby to a playgym of sorts sinCe he is learning to move around quite a bit and our plaCe is tiny...

do babies share toys? I mean, they put everything in their mouth/slobber/drool, so teChniCally it's really unsanitary to share toys right?

but say if we're at a playgym, my baby's going to mouth everything, what do i do? I Can't pre-wipe the entire plaCe?

What about going to other moms/babies houses? What are good manners/bad manners? The babies are going to share Chew toys?

Thanks, any tips/adviCe most welComed!

(ps. sorry about the 'C', my keyboard is broken and i have to Copy/paste it...)

carang is offline Registered User
    i think it all depends on the age of the baby. for really small babies, say under 10-12 months, there's no need to "share". babies (unless they have an older sibling) don't generally play "together" anyway until they are about 2 years old.

at my playgroup, i encourage sharing for babies from about 15 months +. they don't always understand, nor do they always like the idea, but i think it is necessary to teach them how to share from a young age.

for really young babies, distraction works wonderfully, if you see them going for something they shouldn't, distract them with something else.

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    It will be hard to look at every toys and stuff your baby will be touching and putting in his mouth... There were some things I care more about (bottles or pacifiers), but generally I would leave my son touching and sharing toys with the other kids. That's the way they make their own immunisation, and I didn't have to stress about wiping all his environment. I just kept some cleaning towels in my bag to clean his hands after playing.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    If I have a playdate, I`ll clean the toys beforehand, and afterwards if they are being really chewed on. But anyway, germs don`t live that long on objects. If you`re at someone`s place, I would expect your baby to have open access to everything the other baby has - that`s normal. Your son would not be happy if you were constantly pulling toys away from him.
    My son puts EVERYTHING in his mouth. He`s the mouthing king. I took him to a playgym a few weeks ago and he basically found 2 balls and sat there chewing on them for most of the time (money well spent, hehe).
    Now that`s he`s crawling and cllimbing, I see that I can`t possibly keep up with keeping everything hygienic and perfectly clean. In fact, I saw a dead cockroach on the floor just now that luckily I saw before my son.
    I think there are no manners at this age. They`re so young. I`m happy when another baby comes over and uses my sons toys and enjoys it. Even if they enjoy it with their mouth:)

Neha is offline Banned
    We used to have 2 playdates a week at our place when our son was 8 months till about he turned nearly 2. After every playdate we used to really clean all the toys and the playmats.

In Our school if the kids put anything in the mouth, we had to wash it and put it inside a box for the school to clean it again.

At my gym or any other activity if our child put anything in his mouth I would just take that toy and keep it aside

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Neha, guess you don`t want to invite my son around for any playdates after reading that...
    (sheepish)

solidstars is offline Registered User
    neha what do you mean by take the toy (playgym) and keep it aside? like don't like any other kid eat it? or don't like my son eat it?

so if house visiting, toys are open for all...

if in a playgym, wipe after?