Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Going public and ultrasounds

prone_to_wander is offline Registered User

Going public and ultrasounds

I am going public and was wondering when ya'll had your ultrasound scheduled. They have me scheduled for when I'm 12 weeks, but also gave me literature saying that 18-21 weeks was the best time for an ultrasound. I only want one ultrasound.

Has anyone been able to re-schedule their ultrasound? When did they have you scheduled for it?

thanks ladies

carang is offline Registered User
    they usually give two ultra sounds.

the one at 12 weeks, along with other tests can check for down syndrome.

the scan at 20 weeks is to check all the measurements and development and takes a lot longer.

i was wondering why you only want one scan? in the public system, they only cost $60-100 and it is amazing to see how your baby is developing.

i was lucky, when i was pregnant with my first, i was asked to take part in a study. i got a 3D scan every month for 6 months. i thought it was great! i could see that the baby was developing normally and i thought the technology was awesome.

i've read some other of your posts and i really wonder if going public is the best thing for you. i have a feeling you are going to be very unhappy with the system and the care. (nothing against you, just judging by other things you've said and knowing the public system....)

good luck!

prone_to_wander is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    they usually give two ultra sounds.

the one at 12 weeks, along with other tests can check for down syndrome.

the scan at 20 weeks is to check all the measurements and development and takes a lot longer.

i was wondering why you only want one scan? in the public system, they only cost $60-100 and it is amazing to see how your baby is developing.

i was lucky, when i was pregnant with my first, i was asked to take part in a study. i got a 3D scan every month for 6 months. i thought it was great! i could see that the baby was developing normally and i thought the technology was awesome.

i've read some other of your posts and i really wonder if going public is the best thing for you. i have a feeling you are going to be very unhappy with the system and the care. (nothing against you, just judging by other things you've said and knowing the public system....)

good luck!
    Ah. I thought you only got one. I got some weird looks at the MCHC today when I was trying to tell them that I wanted to move the appointment until later.

I am a very "crunchy" person. It's just that I'm into more natural ways of doing things. Although most people think that ultrasounds have no side effects they really can effect cell development and the long term effects aren't known. I'm young and healthy and so long as my pregnancy continues along with no problems I don't think it is medically necessary.

I totally think it would be cool to see my baby developing, but I try and limit my risks as much as possible. Including unnecessary medical procedures...of which I consider the ultrasound.

I know some people will be horrified...What if something is wrong and an ultrasound would catch it? Or what if....? But NO pregnancy is without risks and I do a great deal of research about what I think is the best for me and my baby. Stuff happens. Life and death happen all around us. But over-medicating perfectly healthy pregnancies does not make all the risk go away.

And public/private, I don't think it really matters here in HK. In fact, the private hospitals sound more rigid with their rules than the public ones. I don't have maternity coverage and I can't afford to go to Matilda and pay out of pocket.

My concerns with hospitals are not the usual ones. I don't need a great deal of privacy, I don't mind sharing bathrooms, and who cares about the food. I find dealing with all doctors and nurses to be a frustrating experience. They don't actually listen to me, give me antibiotics and send me on my way. Like the nurse today who marked that I was unsure of the date of my period on my chart. I mean I told her I wrote it in my day timer and she still wrote that I was unsure. Then I told her I could give her my date of ovulation. She didn't even acknowledge that statement.

And then doctors and nurses in HK can be so inflexible. I don't think it is a public/private thing. So I will go public and be assertive. That is my only choice.

carang is offline Registered User
    good luck. i'm sure you will be fine. i don't have cover either, so i know where you are coming from. it's jsut that the public system isn't really known for their "open-mindedness". i have heard that some of my friends that went private had ultrasounds at every appointment.

as for the nurses not listening... i never really had that problem. i was always very clear with everything as were they. but, then again, i was in the high risk department for both pregnancies...maybe that had something to do with it.

as for doing all of their tests... i opted not to have the down syndrome test done for my second pregnancy. i figured that i wouldn't abort anyway, so it didn' really matter to me. i was asked a couple of times by the doctors why i didn't have the test and i just explained, they were cool with that.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    prone to wander - I guess that means you won`t be hearing the baby`s heart at all using the doppler, since it acts on the same waves as an ultrasounds machine.
    My mom was pretty conservative about the number of u\s I got.
    To be honest, having had a miscarriage before this baby, I was keen to have u/s every month(and my baby is more than perfect), except in the late stages. In Canada, where the health system is `free` it`s not so ultrasound crazy, as here in Asia where private doctors abound.
    From my experience, I also believe the first ultrasound is important as well, as it tells you if your baby has actually grown as it should have (not an empty sac), how many sacs there are, if it`s in the uterus, etc. But if you don`t want to have it, then don`t. They can`t force you. Just tell them to use their medical training in another way as you want to wait for the big 20 week scan.