Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

How many minutes does your bub breastfeed for?

mama-to-be is offline Registered User

How many minutes does your bub breastfeed for?

My 1st took half an hour to 45 mins (wasn't a very effective feeder), while my 2nd takes 5-10 mins (very effective feeder)!!!!

I know some babies don't need very long, but just wanted to know whether any of you have babies feeding for such a short time only.

By 2nd is 3 months old and is doing very well (95th percentile!!) so he must be getting enough.

sherwes is offline Registered User
    From about the time they were 10 days old both of my babies fed for a total of between 5-10mins at each feed. Like your second baby, both of mine had very good weight gains. The lacatation consultant told me that I have a very fast let down...

carang is offline Registered User
    my daughter was the same. and she went from the bottom 2% up to 50% in 8 weeks... then was 95% by about 7 months!

solidstars is offline Registered User
    my 6.5 months old started off feeding around 45 mins or longer, to nowadays about 5 - 15 mins!

his weight/height are all off the Charts...

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    My son started feeding for 5-10 minutes from about 5 months on, but then got it down to about 5 minutes by 7 months. I thought he wasn`t drinking enough, and he turned out to have almost completely self weaned by 9 months. He started out in the 50% but then went down to 25%. I`m not sure what he is now since he`s been on mostly formula but I`m sure he has gained weight.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    When my daughter was born, she would feed for about 15 min or so, I think. At about 2 months, it was down to 10 min. It got progressively shorter and shorter, and I'm still bfing now at 12 months, but she only feeds generally for less than 5 min, sometimes only 1 min ;) She's in a good percentile for weight, and I always just made sure she was still having wet nappies, and that's the important thing. A baby could feed for an hr each time but still not be getting enough, or could feed for just 5 min but be great.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    my son did about 10-15 minutes on each side for the first couple of months, then by month 3 it was about 7 minutes on each side.

mama-to-be is offline Registered User
    thanks for sharing ladies. its really true that all babies are different. i guess i should count my blessings in that my bub only needs a short time at the breast for a full feed!