Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Truth About Baby Einstein

Speculator is offline Registered User

My daughter loves Timmy Time on UK Ceebies. As soon as the music starts my two and a half year old daughter is clapping and jumping up calling Timmy and making sheep noises lol.

Last edited by Speculator; 11-04-2009 at 05:19 PM.

vitasoy_125ml is offline Registered User

I believe some baby enstein DVDs are good..i guess it all depends what age you show it to them at. I agree with no tv before 2 yrs of age, because i read that it not only limits their ability to learn vocab, but also increases the risks of being hyperactive, or ADD (attention deficit disorder) since there is too much stimulation on tv, and the infant is too used to it....

southside852 is offline Registered User

funny b/c my son's vocab has actually expanded since he's been watching some tv programs before age 2. He's learned a handful of new words, learned new movements and can laugh at some funny things.

the whole tv thing will always be controversial. everyone will have their two cents about it just like immunizations etc... in the end, do what feels right. some will not show tv to their child which is fine for them. as for us, we believe in slow integration - they cannot be shielded from everything especially when they have playdates with other children whose parents might have the tv on.

my son watches his Hi-5 dvd at least once a day and he is a thriving 22 month year old who loves to play on his own, dance and socializes well with others.

carang is offline Registered User

i agree, both of my children learned a lot from watching tv. my kids love tv (as does their mother)... but they are not vegetables in front of it, otherwise i would limit it more.

somebodyfamous is offline Registered User

apparently watching TV at a young age, the adverse effects are noticeeable around 7 and 8 years old in the child. I'm going to check this out more as I find it interesting :)

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyfamous View Post
    apparently watching TV at a young age, the adverse effects are noticeeable around 7 and 8 years old in the child. I'm going to check this out more as I find it interesting :)
    I've read a little bit about this but would be interested at what else you find out. Because what you see on TV is not true-to-life (obviously) this actually affects childrens' brains. But it's weird, the part that affects their brains is not necessarily the content but how it is cut together. It does not reflect realistically how things operate--one scene abruptly cutting to another. This can negatively affect attention span and a bit of cognition. And I can totally see that because with some TV shows, even as an adults, when I watch it, I just can't even focus at all.

mama_miamia is offline Registered User

Thanks this is interesting. I have seen other young children watch Baby Einstein and they seem to be mesmorised by it. I was planning to give it a try too, I suppose watching tv before 2 is okay as long as it doesn't become excessive.

Gataloca is offline Registered User

We all grew up watching TV... In my time, there weren't many educational programs (probably Sesame Streets?)... My mum never played any classic music to us, but heard lot of them by watching Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny and also Tom and Jerry!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234