Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

How much is enough?

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    There are a lot of playgroups that start at newborn or as early as 3-months-old. Just note that you don't have to send your child to nursery at 2-years-old--you can continue to have them in a playgroup until they start kindergarten at 3-years-old or no playgroup or nursery at all--depending on what you want.

The interviews kids attend in Hong Kong are for nursery school and kindergarten. The one for kindergarten is more "serious." I think the one for most nursery school is just to determine that your child is up to speed with children his/her own age (i.e. doesn't have any obvious learning disabilities etc. that may hold him/her back).

Kindergarten interviews can be really stressful--especially for parents and if you read the many threads about them here on this site you'll find that often times children get rejected and the parents/children are never told the reason for the rejection--which makes it sort of arbitrary. There is a lot of competition for spots in certain types of kindergartens.

To give you an idea, to start applying to kindergartens without going to nursery school for my son who will start kindergarten in September, the interviews generally start in December of this year. At that interview they ask questions like "What's your name?" "Who brought you here?" "What shape is this?" Now, my son knows all of that information and can reply both in English and Cantonese but whether or not he would be even willing to sit down and answer questions with a stranger (the interviewer) whom he has just met in a span of 15 minutes or less and impress that stranger enough for them to allow him into their program is really debatable. As I always say, "My son is not a trained monkey." Meaning, he chooses to speak when he wants and to keep silent when he wants--much to our chagrin sometimes.

At his nursery school "interview" he just played shy and flirted with the headmistress. He didn't answer any of her questions at all. In some kindergarten interview situations he would have been rejected right away because of that. Does that mean he's not bright and that he wouldn't be a wonderful student in the school? No. But, some little kids are in "kindergarten interview school" just to train them to be able to go through the interview process and impress the judge. There are programs like this that exist in HK!!!

I think the whole thing is really sad, actually and we're trying to avoid going through it at all costs.

Neha is offline Banned
    We applied at ESF Kindergarten and there was no interview for kids. ESF does only interviews for P1. No idea about local schools. Interviews for K1 is ridiculous

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Very interesting. I am so clueless (at the same time afraid that I'll miss any key dates for enrolment), don't think I had to go through anything like these when I was a kid. I also don't think I could speak anything other than English at that age.

My bub is really young (just 9 weeks tom :)), and friends are asking us to put her on waitlist for schools. I haven't looked into it yet to be honest, but is kinda bugging me at the back of my mind. I probably should have it sorted out before I go back to work...

geomum is offline Registered User
    Can someone please tell me which are the kindergartens which have interviews for a 2 or 3 year old? Or if your child has attended interviews for any of these kindergartens? Are the schools for which interviews held mostly chinese, like Victoria Kindergarten or do other kindergartens also have interviews?
    Also how can I find out I live in the the zone for a particular ESF? For instance for ESF in Sheung Wan (To be moved to Stubbs Road next year) would entire HK island would be one zone? That would mean lots of competition and less chances of a child getting in, isnt it? And a child living in Clear water bay or Tsing Yi have more chance of getting admitted? You could PM me if you wish. Many thanks :)
    Last edited by geomum; 10-27-2009 at 05:21 PM.

Sorry one more question.

My baby was born in Aug 2009, what are the key dates I should remember for schools? Thanks a lot!

reei is offline Registered User
    obiwan, your baby born in aug 2009, then you can attend open days at october 2010, and october 2011. then you have to start checking in august 2011, when the forms will be given out and start applying.
    though you can only apply 1 year before she goes to k1, i went to open days also 2 years before, because usually all have open days in october, so some dates clashes.. and miss out on some open days,, and if the ones you went to in oct 2010 is not what you like, you can still choose and see in oct 2011.. haha
    confusing?

Thanks reei! Confusing indeed :) I had to draw a time line haha.

Basically to ensure my kid can attend K1 when age 3 (Sep 2012), I have to start the ball rolling in Oct 2011, for interview (if any) in Dec 2011.

And before that playgroups & nursery are optional and more flexible.

Thank you so much for helping me.

lottieclee is offline Registered User
    I have a strong believe that children should be allowed to be children too.

My work is flexible and I am lucky to be able to spend a lot of time with my son. I sent him to playgroup at 10 months, but I took him along when I took the school tour and he wanted to follow all the nursey kids around at the time. I let him go 2 half days a week, so he could play with other children.

When it came to nursery, I originally planned for 3 1/2 days a week, but his school terminated that program and only offered 5 1/2 days this year. Reluctantly, I have him go every morning and he makes friends and attend classes alone. Of course, I had another chose to switch to another nursery, but we decided to keep Gab in the same place because he was familiar with the environment and teachers. He loves it now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Scroll to top