Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Sleeping w/toddler while traveling

southside852 is offline Registered User

Sleeping w/toddler while traveling

Our son is currently in a regular bed with a guardrail and we are going on a quick trip to Bali next week.

When you travel with a toddler, how do you do his/her sleeping arrangement in the room? Do you put the mattress on the floor? Bring a travel rail (do they exist?)? Slide bed to one side so they have a wall as one side? cushioin with pillows?

Thanks for any helpful feedback.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Last hotel we put him in the bed by the wall and put pillows on the floor on the other side.
    If we are in a room with a couch of some sort, we turn it around against the wall so the wall keeps him in on the one side and the back of the couch keeps him in on the other.

OopsIdiditAgain is offline Registered User
    We tend to just have our toddler sleep in the middle of us...but then he is a toad that still finds his way through to our bed sometime in the middle of the night most nights. Much preferring the centre position between Mum and Dad than staying in his own bed! We never have a problem with him upon returning to HK then going to sleep in his own bed after a few nights of going to bed in the "big" bed.

carang is offline Registered User
    when i travelled with my two kids and my helper last summer this is what we did:

i got one bed
    helper got one bed
    kids had a "camp out" on the floor. i got extra blankets & pillows and made them a little "bed" on the floor. each of the kids had their own pillows & comfort blankets. they LOVED it! it was novel for them and they had a great time! they thought it was quite exciting to be able to sleep on the floor!

southside852 is offline Registered User
    all great suggestions! will see what the hotel room looks like on wednesday and then decide on which sleeping arrangement to do. Thanks!

mumsy is offline Registered User
    You can also check in advance with the hotel since some have low lying beds available which normally cater for disabled guests. We've also been offered a couch style bed that you can add to the side of a normal bed.

I've found that in some hotels, the bed frame is fixed/bolted in place so impossible to move the bed against the wall. In that case, we usually cushion with pillows/blankets/seat cushions and have even moved comfy chairs into the gap so the drop isn't as high. Thankfully, we've never had any rolling off the bed mishaps.

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    we use a very lightweight portable bed rail from bumps to babes