Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Travelling with 13 month old

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)

Obiwan,

I flew with my son at 4 months from HK to Australia, I was able to bring bottles filled with water onto the plane. There has been alot of posts about the water on planes, I'm not sure I would trust it. Its much easier as you can make up a bottle straight away rather than wait around for the cabin crew to get the water and the water to cool.

I didn't bring any toys to play with just my sons favourite cuddly bear and a blanket so he had something familiar. And make sure you take some spare clothes for bub and a top for yourself!

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User

Why can't you get another seat? The only reason for not being able to getting another seat is if the plane is full, but you're hoping for an extra empty seat, so I am not sure what the reason is for not getting it (unless it's financial but then I am telling you, spend it, it's worth it!). On these type of legs, an extra seat is money well spend. How are you going to eat your food if you have a 1 yo on your lap who doesn't fit in a bassinet? Especially with a child who's getting more mobile I cannot imagine not having it! When buying a seat you can also get the kiddie meal which makes life a little easier again (less stuff to bring). Children under 2 in own seat usually pay about 50% of the fare, sometimes more but then the fare is usually lower to begin with.

A DVD player is a must in my opinion ... I won't leave without on the long haul.

Obiwan is offline Registered User

Thanks Karmah1! Wasn't sure that they will allow us to bring bottled water up to the plane .... definitely much easier this way.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

I have never had a problem bringing water through security in baby bottles and, more recently, bringing my son's sipper cup through security and have never been asked to taste it. It does depend on the airport though - I know Heathrow are tough on water and jars of food and may make you taste it. Perhaps check the website for your airport at the Canada end to see if they have any special rules as I am sure the HK end will be fine.

Now that our son is older we are less stressed about the difference between the hot water that they have on the plane vs the boiled water we would use at home but if you are taking your own on board the flight attendants will no doubt heat it way too hot so you'll still have to allow time for it to cool. Even in economy I think most airlines have bottled water to serve to passengers so you can ask them to use that in the baby bottles to make up the formula (and ask them to heat it for you).

Agree with asking the flight attendants to watch your sleeping baby if you are nipping to the bathroom. Provided it it is not during a meal or drinks service then they should be happy to help. Attitude does depend a lot on the airline but we always travel Cathay and they have been fine in the past.

In terms of buying a seat for them, definitely the best option but it is expensive and will be more so over Christmas.

SB2

I realise that tickets for babies are not cheap. CX advised that infant fare (below 2 years old) is 10% of full fare, and toddler 65%. I did some calculation, and realise that it varies .. for eg, my bub's fare to Singapore (HKD1040) comes up to 40% of mine, and to Vancouver, 23% (HKD2722) of mine.

Thus far, baby has been ok with drinking her milk at room temperature, so we typically don't heat up her milk when we are out.

ninahh is offline Registered User

i always use the water on the plane. that way i don't have to carry all the bottles filled with water; i thing there is already enough to carry. it was always totally fine. i asked them to fill up the bottle only 1/3 with hot water and filled it up with cold bottled water, that way you don't have to wait until the hot water has cooled down.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

Good on you for training your baby to drink milk at room temp - definitely a plus.

I understand that the price for buying a seat for a baby/toddler is the same regardless of whether they are under or over 2. A travel agent quoting a price for a baby "under 2" will likely be the price to have them sitting on your knee whereas the "over 2" price will be having their own seat. I may have misunderstood your response but wanted to make sure that you were getting the correct prices.

CX told me that the fare for under 2 and above 2 are different. But 'under 2' the baby won't get a seat (just a bassinet), but 'above 2', he/she will. For redemption though, the mileage required is the same as adult fare.

Let me call them again to check :)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12