Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Matilda vs Canossa

LeahH is offline Registered User
    My husband has been an in-patient at Canossa several times and Matilda wins hands down as better in every way.

Except perhaps location depending on where you live, it is a bit of a pain going up and down the hill for family).

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    My son had a minor operation at Canossa and although the staff were fine (and admittedly it was not comparing the maternity wards), the maternity ward at Matilda is excellent and the midwives amazing. Bear in mind that Canossa is having major renovations/new building at the moment (not to say that Matilda won't be renovating by the time you are there). Would vote for Matilda myself.

Out of interest, are the comparable in price?

SB2

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    I recall that the prices are almost comparable, if anything Matilda is a little bit more expensive ... not very significant if my memory serves me right.

Also i like that Matilda is very private and quiet. The wards were full, but we never really saw a lot of people walking around like other hospitals ....

bumbeeno is offline Registered User
    The labour room at the Matilda is called the 'Delivery Spa'! :D It has a massage chair, your own bathtub, TV, etc. The rooms are really pleasant too.

The staff are nice and they are very pro-breastfeeding so they would never bottlefeed or supplement your baby without your knowledge. At some point during your stay a lactation consultation will do her rounds and provide invaluable encouragement and advice.

It isn't a huge hospital either so even if all the beds are full, you don't even feel you're crowded out.

I would highly recommend the Matilda if distance and cost is no object. I don't know how the Canossa compares cost-wise but I've heard that where the private hospitals in HK are concerned, there isn't a very significant price difference across the board to make you opt for one over the other (i.e. they are all expensive unless you have insurance).

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    If you are planning to breastfeed make sure you ask both hospitals about rooming-in. In Hong Kong I think that how open the hospital is to the idea of rooming-in tells you how supportive the hospital is of breastfeeding.

Portia is offline Registered User
    As mentioned above, you might want to consider the location. People don't like to think about this, but if there is an emergency how far would your doctor have to travel and what is the route like. I had difficulty deciding between Adventist and Matilda, but eventually chose Adventist as I was concerned about an emergency and Peak Road can get very jammed at times (esp on public holidays) whereas there are various ways to get to the Adventist and I was aware that my doctor usually would be closer to the Adventist. I almost ended up with an emergency c-section and I had to wait for the anaethestist to be paged and to come back to the hospital. As my epidural had already worn off at the time, I remember being really glad I was not all the way up at the Matilda as he was able to get there really quickly!

Suv
    Suv is offline Registered User
    From what I gather, the anaethestist lives on campus at Matilda. Vote for Matilda too. Loved the midwives, aftercare for me, support to breastfeed/ rooming in etc.

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    I had my epidural at 12 noon (and delivered at 10pm). Throughout this time, the mid-wive topped up my dose when needed. Portia is right though, in the event of a real emergency, and the baby has to be moved to Queen Mary, Matilda is disadvantaged.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast