Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vomiting and tummy pain

mumsy is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    My son had a vomiting episode last year and couldn't keep anything down even water. The doctor thought it was a stomach bug/virus picked up from school. He was prescribed a suppository and a powder mix drink to replenish lost minerals etc and soon stopped throwing up after this. I also limited his fluid intake to a few sips at a time rather than a big drink in one go. He didn't eat anything for a day then I gradually gave him bland foods such as plain rice/bread. Overall his vomiting lasted less than 24 hours.

If your son has been sick for 3 days now and showing signs of dehydration, I would also recommend taking him to the hospital.

AndreaY is offline Registered User
    Hong kong
    My 3 year old daughter got gastritis, vomitting and tummy ache, 2 weeks ago and we took her to Canossa outpatient. They gave her meds to stop the vomitting, the doc told us NOT to give her milk, to keep her off oily and hard to digest foods (I gave her plain congee mixed with grated eggwhite) and have lots of fluids (preferably something with electrolytes like gatorade or pocari sweat).

sandy0741 is offline Registered User
    hong kong
    Thanks very much for all your response, my son is OK now, I just gave him congee and lots of fluid. He has started drinking milk (less diluted) and is OK, though he is still not eating much, I think it will take some time for him to recover, at least he has stopped vomitting, which really kills me when I saw how uncomfortable he gets.
    But I really don't know what causes him so, I think he has picked it up from school, because he just ate the same thing when he gets home.

yonge is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Sounds like possibly rotavirus, for which a vaccination is available. Was it accompanied by diarrhea? My nephews were 3 and 2 when they contracted rotavirus and needed to be hospitalized and feed intravenously to prevent dehydration. It's highly contagious and very dangerous for small children because of dehydration, but most older children will recover without much assistance.

Would agree with AndreaY about avoiding milk, but you can give something like Paediasure, which doesn't have any milk in it. Glad to hear that your son is better now!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12