Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Paper mache anyone???

katelynBB is offline Registered User

Paper mache anyone???

Hi Everyone..

Wondering if anyone knew how to paper mache?
    My 3 year old has a project to do, and I was thinking of creating it with paper mache. But wasn't sure how to actually start...

Has anyone done it before and can offer some tips??
    Does it break easily?? Is there a maximum of layers?

Much appreciated!!!

Plus, where can I find a good arts and craft store?

Thanks!!!
    ~Theresa~

carang is offline Registered User
    you can find a lot of PM information online. i've done it with a few students. it's VERY messy and VERY time consuming. you have to do a few layers, then let it dry and then do a few more layers. although, a 3 yr old would probably have a great time making a mess doing it, it might be a little tedious for mummy.

what kinds of craft supplies are you looking for? i do crafts at my playgroup and am always on the lookout for stuff, so i may be able to send you in the right direction.

there is spotlight in megabox, but they are REALLY expensive and much of what they have can be found elsewhere for 1/5 of the price.

there is also a small shop in mongkok that has some great stuff, too. just can't remember the address... will have to ask hubby when he comes home

Yes, I agree that its going to be messy, but I think my 3 year old will have loads of fun! I'm getting excited just thinking of how much fun it will be.

Tell me if you think this will work:
    I have to make some sort of a mobile to showcase what we like and get my daughter to express herself. So I was thinking that she can decorate the paper mache part herself and we can find pictures and things to hang off it.

I am soooo not the creative type, so not sure if its going to work.. but it does sound like a lot of fun for us to do together.

So for the arts supply, not sure what I really need.. was just going to go into any store and see what they have. Is there anywhere that has lots of supplies that I can just go to one place.
    I'll need things to decorate the paper mache, like paint, sparkles... plus I'll need to see what I can use to hang off the paper mache.

Hope this turns out!
    ~Theresa~

most stationery shops have a fair selection of:
    glitter
    foam shapes
    feathers
    sequins
    ribbons
    paints
    brushes
    etc

all you need for pm is: white glue, water, newspaper strips.

you mix the glue & water until it is very runny... however, you will need some kind of shape in mind to mould it around.

you might want to have a google pm for kids and see what you can come up with.

like i said, though, you might want to check out spotlight for supplies...if you want more than what i listed

monte is offline Registered User
    Just wanted to point out that you said you're "not the creative type" but coming up with this idea for the pm sounds pretty creative to me! Maybe you don't have a lot of skills or experience in crafting, but that doesn't mean you're not creative ... :)

and as an aside, I just read a great book called "the Creative Family" by Amanda Blake Soule with tons of ideas for doing projects with kids. you and your kid might enjoy it ...

Thanks Monte!!!

Will definitely read the book for more ideas.
    ~Theresa~

ktiger is offline Registered User
    Hi Carang

Would you be interested in teaching how to paint and design on paper mache objects at our studio in central maybe once a week?

Thanks

Barry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast