Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Can babies use blankets?

Ma Ma Ape is offline Registered User
    I have a gro bag and it sucks cause the neck opening is too small for my daughter since she was 3 months old. I got another one from the organic store in ocean terminal. It is good for most weathers but we live in clear water bay and it gets pretty chilly in winter. Blankets are no use since my 6 month old daughter seem to twist herself out of tucked in blankets. Will consider buying a down sleeper. I have seen really nice ones in Toronto. anyone has ideas where I can find them in Hk,

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Obiwan View Post
    Shenzhennifer - does your son have problem sleeping using the sleeping bag (hands free) after being used to swaddling (hands wrapped)?

I am currently swaddling my 3-month old and when cold, throw a blanket over the swaddle ... not so sure about the blanket but so far as she is swaddled and can't really move much, the blanket has been able to stay put without moving up to cover her face ... not sure if this is dangerous after all.
    Actually, swaddling only really worked for the first couple of weeks. My son struggled to get out of it as much as I struggled to keep him in it:)
    I started using a sleeping bag on him only from about 7 months.
    If your daughter can`t move, then I wouldn`t think it dangerous to use a blanket. But she`ll be able to move soon, so I would just watch her more.
    I still use a blanket for my son`s naps though. Sometimes he kicks it off, but that`s ok. But nighttime sleeping bag use is something I would like to continue. I`ll just have to find the appropriate one for winter.

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Thanks!! I think I'll try letting her sleep without the swaddling blanket. Haven't tried that, not sure if the hand movement will startle her and wake her up mid sleep.

She was struggling out of the blanket until we got the Kiddopotamus swaddling blanket with the velcro. That kept her in snug and happy :)

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    miriam228 - I ended up buying a long sleep sleeping bag from Hallmark Babies in Ocean Terminal this weekend for my son for when it gets really cold. He really likes sleeping in his sleeveless sleeping bag so I hope he likes his long sleeve sleeping bag!

kyojee is offline Registered User
    Hi LeahH, am looking into the merinokids site, and am keen to get a couple for my daughter too. This is our first winter in Hong Kong, I wonder if you manage the Jan/Feb nights with a standard (recommended for 18-30 degree celsius) or a duvet (recommended for 18 and below)? I do notice that apartments in HK get rather chilly in the night, and I intend to go without the heater if possible as it dries up the air so badly! Thanks! Your advice would be appreciated. =)

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Kyojee - last winter we used a humidifier when my son was sleeping to help with the dryness.
    The winter nights are cold cold cold in these apartments. well below 18C. You might want to reconsider using a heater.
    The only problem with the heater for us is that my baby is now crawling and loves trying to pull himself up on appliances. Might be a very cold winter for us indeed!

southside852 is offline Registered User
    My son was in a grobag until 16 months. Then we switched to a blanket.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    The grobag website has a very helpful temperature guide for what clothing the baby should wear depending on the temperature of the room and the "tog" rating of the bag. The other brands (other than grobag) use the same tog rating so the grobag clothing guide is helpful even if you are using another brand.

See below under the Question "What should my baby wear under a Grobag Baby Sleep Bag?"

Frequently asked questions

We used the swaddle and an aircell (spelling?) blanket from Mothercare when our baby was first born (Feb/March in Hong Kong) then just a swaddle until he was 6 months then moved to a grobag sleeping bag. The aircell blankets have holes in them so are supposed to be safer if they end up over the face of a little baby.

We go by the grobag guide for clothing and in winter used a 2.5 tog bag (still sleeveless). If you feel the back of their neck then that is a good guide of temperature - not hands. My son is now 21 months and is all over his cot, sideways with legs up the side, upside down, on tummy, on back, on side. A blanket would be no good for him at the moment and we'll keep using the grobag type sleeping bags until he moves to a big bed.

SB2
    Last edited by starbucks2; 11-09-2009 at 02:55 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast