Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

moving to hk - looking for stroller purchase advice

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    HK is crazy and aggravatingly stroller unfriendly, though not the worst city I`ve been to. Take for granted that you will have to lift the stroller up and down stairs (it grows tiresome to countlessly assign strangers to the act of this kindness) in the MTR stations. for this reason I value the lightweight Combi stroller I bought(4 kg).
    Second, one handed opening and closing is another must have. I can`t imagine what my life would be like if it took two hands to open and close my stroller. Where would baby be - on the ground crawling away?
    Finally, something my stroller lacks but I would not trade the other 2 features is a good set of wheels. Mine aren`t bad, but more ideal for malls and the inside of train stations rather than on a rougher sidewalk or road.
    And do yourself a favour and buy it over there - things are soooo expensive for baby here.

dcthk is offline Registered User

choice between 2 strollers

hi,
    thanks for all your suggestions. so useful to have practical advise from people on the ground.
    i am now considering either the bugaboo bee or the city mini (from baby jogger) - the city mini has a one handed fold etc. any thoughts?
    is a wheel base width of 24" too wide to get through the mtr turnstiles?

dcthk is offline Registered User
    shenennifer,
    thanks for the suggestion i am going to buy it here. my baby will be 3 months by the time we get there and i was hoping to buy some toys etc for when she is older and pack it in with the stuff. what did you find most useful as the lil kiddo grew up from 3-6 and 6-9 months?
    thanks for the advise

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by dcthk View Post
    shenennifer,
    thanks for the suggestion i am going to buy it here. my baby will be 3 months by the time we get there and i was hoping to buy some toys etc for when she is older and pack it in with the stuff. what did you find most useful as the lil kiddo grew up from 3-6 and 6-9 months?
    thanks for the advise
    If you mean toys, probably my best purchase was this Chicco activity centre thing that`s in 3 stages - overhead, sitting and standing. I got it when my son was 3 months old and at 10 months old he`s still using it. I got that here though. I think any toys you could fit in with your luggage will be appreciated when your baby is older here. But there is no shortage of toys here.
    However, I would have bought a high chair at home if I had realised how expensive they were here.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Unfortunately MTR turnstiles are about 18.5 inches wide, so24 inches would be too wide. Seems they are trying to make some more, wider ones but availability is spotty.
    Honestly, when we had one child we used a Maya wrap sling as much as possible. Now with two we use the stroller a little more often. Stroller also comes in handy for hauling bags around HK.
    And I would agree with buying the stuff before you get here due to price and safety. No way to tell what might be wrong with a used stroller. For instance, our seat is pretty much shot but I'm not sure you could tell that just by looking or test driving.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12