Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

moving to hk - looking for stroller purchase advice

dcthk is offline Registered User

moving to hk - looking for stroller purchase advice

i am moving from nyc to hk early next year with a 3 month old baby. we held off purchasing a stroller so we could buy what would be appropriate for HK.

What are important factors to consider when purchasing a stroller that would work well in HK...we will not have a car. Any recommendations on strollers? I have looked at the Bugaboo and the Uppa Baby here. I have not seen any mention of the Uppa Baby on the forums. How would those work for HK living?

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Hi dcthk, we have a Graco Metrolite from the States. It's good and sturdy, but I find that it's too big for HK. When we travel around with the car, it's ok, but when I'm out alone, the stroller is too cumbersome for the taxi. I would buy a lightweight stroller for HK if I can do it all over again.

nino is offline Registered User
    We're on our third stroller and its by far our favorite for Hong Kong: the Maclaren Techno XT. I walk or take the MTR almost everywhere, but its also light enough that I can fold it and lift it into a taxi with my daughter in the Ergo. My favorite feature is the larger wheel size, which makes it really easy to walk along the uneven sidewalks, as well as get up and down steps when necessary.
    I would also consider a stroller that has a car seat adapter for a younger age if you are planning on taking a lot of taxis. I will definitely get one if/when we have another child. I can't make a recommendation but I've seen a lot of Quinny Buzz/Maxi Cosi combos as well as the Bugaboo Bee with a Maxi Cosi car seat.

Sazzy is offline Registered User
    Important factors are lightweight - to get it in and out of taxis / buses plus HK is not that stroller friendly - loads of steps etc. Plus easy to fold. Good sun shade would also be useful.
    Good luck

carang is offline Registered User
    i ALWAYS looked for a single-handed folding, light-weight.

the single-handed folding was important if you are holding your baby and having to fold the stroller by yourself. taxi drivers do not help out mums... at least they didn't when i had my first.

reei is offline Registered User
    also, a stroller where you can reverse handle and push the other way round.. coz' hk is so crowded, if you can have the baby facing towards you , no worries about ppl bumping into her feet and all that.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Yes on the single-handed folding, light-weight.
    We also looked for one that had a wheel-base skinny enough to fit through the MTR turnstiles. Hunting for the wide gates is not only a pain, you might not end up at the exit you wanted to go out.
    And you can forget the elevators as they will be full of what appears to be two-legged, apparently healthy adults.

yonge is offline Registered User
    You can probably borrow one or buy one second hand when you get here. Where we live, there are so many stairs/hills that we have only taken our McLaren Triumph out twice in 4 months. We don't have a car, but the mini-bus these days often have a place for you to store it. We made much more use of our Baby Bjorn and slings. The Ergo carrier also looks great - would consider getting one for my next one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast